Squeaky Pulley

A squeak has recently developed from the front of my 2000 EB. I stuck my head in there today and can't quite tell if it is coming from the power steering pump, the auto tensioner, or something else in that vicinity. Turning the wheel makes a bit of difference but not defineable (could just be the load on whichever pulley). There's also some seepage around the shaft of the power steering pump. Is there any way I can be sure if it is the power steering pump or something else? I haven't had the EB long and it has approx. 91k mi on it. Is it worth doing a PS fluid flush? Thanks in advance. Dan

Reply to
espressomaker

my 2000 w/ 90,000 miles was squeaking, more squeeling...it was a cam shaft sensor. Don't know about a PS flush.

Reply to
blueexplorer

My '01 ST developed a loud screech at 16K. I couldn't pin down the source, even with a stethoscope. I 'thought' it sounded like it was the idler pulley, so I replaced it. It was quiet for about a month and then the noise returned. I then replaced the tensioner pulley, which seemed to cure it. About 6 months later the noise was back. I discovered that if I sprayed water( I actually used windex because it was handy) on the belt, the noise went away for a few seconds. It's been about two years since I replaced the belt and all's been well, ever since. BTW, the belt showed no signs of wear or glazing on the grooved side but the back side was a bit shiny.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to