Squeaky Suspension

My Ford Explorer squeaks when I drive it, and I tried to find the ball joints to grease up, but found out that there isn't any. So my question is how do I grease it up so that the suspension doesn't squeak?

Thank you, John

Reply to
jaydee56

Are you sure it's the ball joints? Usually it's the sway bar bushings that squeak a lot. Those are easy to remove and lubricate. What year is your truck?

Reply to
Mikepier

Hello, I have a smiler problem with my '98 EB AWD. For the past year, or so, my suspension has been intermittently squeaky. I've noticed that it only squeaks when it is hot and dry outside. During damp and rainy weather I don't notice the squeaking. I've had it in to the dealer twice for this problem, and guess what? No problem found both times :o)

My factory warranty just expired and I'm probably out of luck, so I would like to know if there is anything I can do to eliminate this intermittent squeaking? Any suggestions?

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Hello, I have a smiler problem with my '98 EB AWD. For the past year, or so, my suspension has been intermittently squeaky. I've noticed that it only squeaks when it is hot and dry outside. During damp and rainy weather I don't notice the squeaking. I've had it in to the dealer twice for this problem, and guess what? No problem found both times :o)

My factory warranty just expired and I'm probably out of luck, so I would like to know if there is anything I can do to eliminate this intermittent squeaking? Any suggestions?

Steven

Reply to
stevie

Good question, it's a documented problem? The problem is intermittent, and I was hoping it would become worse before the warranty expired, today. Unfortunately, it has not gotten any worse, or better for that matter, since I had it in the shop last Friday. I just want to get the problem fixed, either way.

Steven

stevie wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Get under the truck and hit ALL the leaf springs, sway bar, and chassis components at the contact points with some spray lube (use extension tube) and this may help.

Reply to
chuckster

Thanks chuckster, that is what I was thinking too. What kind/brand of spray lube? I was not sure if this would help, or hurt in the long run? I've used/have PB Blaster for stubborn part removal, would this work or be to aggressive?

I guess I could try 'hitting' a few places at a time to try and pinpoint the location of the problem. If found, I could then make repair/replacement decisions from there.

Thanks again,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

When the conditions are dry and you have the squeaks, Spray WD40 on the edges of the leaf springs(both sides) first. See if that cures the problem. If not, spray the sway bar bushings next and see if that gets rid of the noise. This may not be the best choice for a permanent cure, but it will at least identify or eliminate two suspects.

Ken

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

For what it's worth, I traced the dry weather squeaks on my '98 AWD to the front bushing of an anti-windup bar. Don't know if spraying would have been effective, because I replaced the whole thing. By the way, at least in the 98 model year the anti-windup bar came only with the V8 engine.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Thanks Ken and Happy Traveler for the suggestions. The squeaking is absolutely coming from the front end. Do you remember how much the anti-windup bar cost, if in USD$? I will look at my Ford Service CD for R/R procedures of the A-W Bar.

Thanks again,

Steven

Happy Traveler wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

You have to remove the bushings and thoroughly lubricate the insides so it will stop squeaking.

Reply to
Mikepier

I looked at my Ford TSP CD and there is no "anti-windup bar" listed? I have a 1998 Ford Explorer EB AWD V8. In addition, I looked at the Genuine Ford Parts site (http:\\

and the illustration of the front suspension of my vehicle did not list/show said part either? However, both the TSP CD and GFP site don't list/show a third rear shock absorber for my vehicle either, but I do indeed have three shock absorbers on the rear of my Explorer :o)

Steven

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

The Anti Windup Bar is a part of the REAR suspension. It prevents the leaf springs from 'winding up', apparently only a problem for the higher torque available from the V8. Pretty sure about the name of this part, but will double check it later tonight, when I get to my manual.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Steve Blaster may be too agressive, try a silicone product or WD 40. Use the extension wand and squirt it in the nooks and crannies around the possible squeek areas. Get back to us and let us know how it worked out. Wear safety glasses!!!!!!

Reply to
chuckster

Is the squeak coming from the front? I had this problem BAD, I ended taking it to the dealer and found out that it had something to do with the control arm bushings, they replaced all of them at no charge (under warranty). The squeak went away and never returned. Try spraying the upper control arm bushings when you have the squeak and see if it goes away, I would use WD40 thoug. Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Yes, ok, Happy Traveler, the 'anti-windup bar' is part of the "REAR" suspension :o) I was looking at the front suspension, where I'm almost positive the squeaking is coming from.

Thanks aga> The Anti Windup Bar is a part of the REAR suspension. It prevents the leaf

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

I'd bet that's where my squeaking is coming from too. My Explorer has been to the dealer twice for this noise, unfortunately, the squeaking is intermittent and only noisy when it's warm and dry outside. It does not make any noise if it's damp, humid, or wet outside, so the times it's been in the shop they could not find a problem.

Thanks,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Chuckster, I'll see if I can find a silicone based, possibly dry, product that will be safe for the bushings...

Thanks again,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Is there any chance this vehicle has air suspension?? My '97 Limited drives me crazy on occasion. The front air shocks creak and squeak, depending on the weather, strange as it may seem.

Reply to
budman

No, no air suspension here.

Steven