Starting motor??

My 1994 Explorer has been experiencing hard starting lately, though the battery test shows a full charge. I had to jump it today to get home from work. At home, I cleaned the battery terminals and reconnected. The starting motor turns, but not the engine, and there is a machine-gun sound. I suspect the solinoid for the starter pinion is not doing its job. How hard is it to fix?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gillespie

I *think* from what you said that your pinion gear is not extending as it should to engage with the flywheel. How hard is it to fix? Well, if you take apart the starter motor you might find the problem and be able to fix it. I did it once many years ago but I don't remember exactly what I did. Otherwise, to replace the starter motor it's not very difficult. The main thing is to disconnect the battery before you start. But, from what you said, the problem may not be the starter motor. If you were able to jump-start it then it must be working, at least sometimes. Was it, by any chance, on an incline heading uphill when you jump-started it? That might engage the gear. If you have never replaced the positive battery cable that might also be the culprit.

Reply to
Ulysses