Strange Slurping Noise

Here's an odd one. 99 XLT with 4 wheel drive.

After sitting through a really heavy rainstorm, started out and there is an odd slurping sound -- sounds like it's behind me somewhere on the left side of the vehicle. It only lasts a second or less, and only does it once, so its hard to pin down. But it is repeatable if the vehicle sits out in a heavy rain storm. My guess is that it's something that's not harmful, but it is certainly a curiosity. The sound is similar to hitting the bottom of a milk shake with a straw.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Sounds like the air vent drain tube is blocked. I had a similar problem, took the cover off (where the wiper shafts stick through) and found small leaves had got through the grill and blocked the tube. The slurping sound is the collected water overflowing the wall as the vehicle moves off

HTH Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Also, does the sunroof have any similar sort of drain tube? I've not been able to find one, but haven't really put a lot of time into it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

I've had a quick look at my 98 SOHC sunroof, and there are 2 drain holes I can see at the 2 front corners. (I can't see the back corners) If one of these was blocked and the truck was on a slight lean to that side, the slurping sound could be the water moving across to the other side and draining out as you moved off.

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor