Stuck hood 1994 exporer

HELP!!!!!! I went to close my hood after putting oil in my suv. I removed everything out of the way and shut it. It didn't close, it bounced up. So I checked again, and it shut this time, but not all the way. So, I tried to pull the release and it would not open. I did what others said hit the top of the hood and did that too...didn't work. And with out costly repairs, I need to know if anyone has had this happen. Can anyone tell me what to do on my own that might help????

Reply to
Karendobbs

I refer to an experts opinion on your troubles -

Here's what he has to say about the 1991 - 1994 Explorers.

These early explorers are both unreliable and dangerous to drive. Some of the most common defects reported by owners are transmission and fuel system failures, electrical system shorts, frequent and expensive brake repairs due to prematurely worn pads, rotors and master cylinder, constant motor-mount failures and defective AC condensers. Body defects are legion. What hasn't fallen off is usually about to, is stuck shut, stuck open, rusted away, delaminated, or simply broken. The above deficiencies produce poor engine performance that includes hard starts, sudden acceleration, stalling and excessive gas consumption; AC failures; noisy, ineffective brakes; lights and guages that have a mind of thier own; suspension noises and exhaust system rattles.

Reply to
Grolch

yah know this really doesn't answer the question

Reply to
fogdog

My '94 limited did the same thing. It was a PITA to get it open, but once it was open I removed the latch and cleaned it out with brake cleaner then lubed it up with lithium grease and worked it for a while. there is a little lever in on the side that gets stuck. Once you have that freed up and lubed it works like new. I've got 240,000 miles on it and it's still reliable.

Reply to
Mike Lapke

So, who is this expert? Aside from the fact that all of this is true many of them are still running after 350,000 miles or more. Unreliable, or just in need of a lot of maintenaince?

Reply to
Ulysses

I've not had it happen on my Explorers but on my '78 F350 if I push down in the hood it will then open. Maybe if you can get someone to pull the release under the hood while you are pushing down on it... Then spray it with some WD-40. I spray mine about once-a-year.

Did you leave an oil bottle in there or something?

Reply to
Ulysses

I can cerrainly see your concern... my 92 was a real POS.... Y'know, I'd change the oil and barely 5000 kms later, the damned thing required another oil change.... And boring... man this thing was boring, I could drive it anywhere I wanted and nothing would ever go wrong... What boring trips mone were... no roadside breakdowns to break the monotony... No adventure, either... the whole time I owned it, I never once got to drive it on it's roof....

Looking over your nameless experts regurgitations, I feel extremely underprivileged... never once experiencing any of those things that were ever so "common".

I'd dearly love to look at things from the point of view that you and your nameless expert share.... unfortunately, I doubt that I coud stick my head that far up my ass...

Reply to
Jim Warman

And I even have to replace the brake pads ever 60-70 thousand miles.

Reply to
Mike Lapke