Stuck in 4x4 High and 4x4 Low

On starting my 2002 XLT recently, both the 4x4 High and 4x4 Low indicator lights stayed on solid. When I started to slowly drive away, it was obviously in 4x4 Low mode and the drivetrain was making loud clunks even when going in a straight line. I stopped and did everything I could think of to get it out of this mode - pushing the

4x4 High/Low/Auto buttons with the transmission in different gears, brake on/off, shutting off the engine and restarting, etc. without success. Finally after about 5 minutes, it magically cleared itself, the indicator lights both went off, and it drove fine.

I drove it daily for 2 weeks without having the problem again until two days ago - and now it has occurred 3 out of the last 5 times I've started the car. Each time it clears itself after about 3-5 minutes, but I don't have much confidence that it won't become a solid failure sometime when I'm far from home!

I guess my next stop is the dealer, but does anyone have any ideas of what might cause this?

Thanks!

Reply to
kent.martinek

state tech via CarKB.com