Subwoofer amp smoked

While driving yesterday, I noticed the distinct smell of burning electronics in my 96 EB V8 AWD - turning everything off didn't seem to make any difference. After further investigation last night, I now have no sub (JBL system) Is there an amp for that back with the sub? Should I just take it to a stereo shop and have a new amp and sub installed or look for a junkyard unit?

Reply to
flies4fun

Don't assume there will be anything "just" about getting a new amp and sub installed. If it's the same JBL system that was in the 95 Limited, it's some sort of modular proprietary thing; whenever I've asked about it at car stereo places they've always said that replacing it was all or nothing, no way to replace individual components. I don't know if you've got the same system or if they're feeding me hogwash, but there it is.

Reply to
Walter Harley

i don't know if this is still true, but factory systems were rated at different impedance than aftermarket systems. they did this to keep the engine noise out of the sound system...so i was told.

Reply to
Spud Unger