Temp control - lamp out. How to fix?

99 Explorer Limited. 120K miles.

The lamp that illuminates a few of the buttons on the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) has died, leaving the "OFF", "AUTOMATIC", "DEF" and "FLR-DEF" buttons dark.

Is this a servicable part? If yes, how do I get at it? I assume I take the radio unit out, then extract the EATC unit from the dash?

It's not something I'm willing to pay $100's for, so if necessary, I'll live with it, as I have done with the message center being blank or displaying Klingon characters for the last couple of years.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Reply to
JM

If it's anything like the layout in my '94, there's only one lamp that feeds that whole panel assy. The same one also feeds the area that illuminates the ashtray. So, if your ashtray light is out, my bet is that the layout is indeed similar. If there's still a light for your ashtray, disregard the following. ;)

Just remove the complete ashtray assy., and replace the bulb. Shouldnt be more than four screws (and two wiring harnesses IIRC) securing the ashtray in place...that is, once you have the dash assy removed. Piece 'o cake!

Reply to
yarrrrrgh

Thanks but it must be a different dash layout - the ashray in mine (which is laying around unused somewhere in my garage) is a simple drop- in insert for one of the cupholder slots and doesn't have any lighting.

Jon

Reply to
JM