temp guage shows HOT

I just bought a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport. When I got it, the engine temp guage wasn't working properly. The guage almost always was pegged all the way over past hot, even with key out, car off, etc....

I had a new temp sensor, and dash guage (which is fuel/temp) installed. My mechanic said when he talked to his rep to order gauage, that there was a common problem with these guages needing to be replaced.

After that, the guage usually starts around 1/4 warm (with engine COLD, and normally runs at the top of hot/normal. (NOT all the way over at boil-over HOT.)

I replaced thermostat and coolant. Had the Explorer hooked up to diagnostics, and when it registers on guage as almost HOT (99% of nrmal driving) the actual engine temp is normal (around 190 degrees erso).

I think my temp guage should usually run about 1/4 to 1/2.

Thoughts..?? Thanks

Reply to
Tubin_Louie