The inevitable finally happened at 127,000 mi - 92 Exp

Lost my OD and all engine braking in any gear. Strangely the gas mileage seems to have gone up about 10%. Maybe just the cold weather letting the AC loaf. Hadn't driven it for a couple of weeks (mainly the wife drives it) and used it to take the family to dinner yesterday and on the freeway was thinking "the rpm's seem awfully high". Asked wife is she had noticed anything unusual lately.... "Well it does seem like it's been making a different noise."

When it shifts to OD you can't feel anything happen. But if you take it out of OD the rpm's don't change but you can feel something in the transmission do something. If you coast the rpm's drop to 1000 and manual 2 or 1 produces no engine braking, just a slight bobble during the shift.

Off to the tranny shop next week to be relieved of $1400.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I feel your pain. My 94 Explorer tranny just went out on me at the 118,000 point. I changed the vacuum modulator because it was leaking badly. I also did a fluid and filter change. It looks like doing that brought on extra problems and now my tranny won't wont kick into gear til I rev it out til around the 7000 rpm mark. Well off to the trasmission shop I go. I already know what they are going to say, (REBUILD) LOL thats what they always say!!!

Reply to
Darby

At that mileage there's not much point in pulling them and not doing a complete rebuild (assuming it needs to be pulled to diagnose the exact failure). It will be interesting to see what my exact failure point was, I'm guessing either a one-way clutch or a clutch seal. There seems to be nothing in the oil (like metal flakes) and it's not making any odd noises so I am curious what broke. A darn shame as up till this time it was still shifting like the day it left the factory.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

These A4LD transmissions are strange beasts. People have had lotsa problems with them, even after a full rebuild. I wish you luck.

Reply to
Darby