Ticking noise in 2004 Explorer

Hi Folks I have a weird ticking noise under heavy acceleration in my 04 EB explorer. Does not hurt acceleration just makes an awful noise. (like lifters that are not getting any oil) Dealership says its normal, not to worry. Should I

TIA

db.

Reply to
Doug B

I had similar in not related problem with my 2004 Explorer LTD with

6-cylinder engine.

In the summer of '05 I observed a ticking sound under strong accelaration. Truth be told I noticed this ticking sound when I first took delivery of the car but didn't pay too much attention. This eventually became a rough idle condition. You could feel the vibration while holding the steering wheel. I also noticed that the fuel economoy began to suffer.

By early August it had become unbearable. The ticking sound became very loud under strong acceleration and the vibration at idle was causing the whole vehicle to unduly vibrate. The dealership changed many sensors, cables, electronic components, and installed new engine mounts. The dealer mechanics were stumped.

The dealership called in a roving Ford engineer who determined that the engine had problems with internal dampners. A new engine was ordered and after a couple of weeks was installed. Problem solved.

Reply to
nelson.claros