Timing Belt Questions

Hello, I was hoping someone coule guide me in the correct direction regarding timing belts. I know nothing, let me repeat, nothing about cars so please bare with me. OK, here goes: 1) I have a 2001 2-door Ford Explorer Sport (4x4). Does this vehicle have a timing belt or a timing chain? 2) In order to replace it, does one need to take the engine out (this is what my Ford dealer is telling me)? 3) Do I need to replace it? I was told I do not just because I have about 100k of miles on it, but because my engine makes a ticking sound. Here's an exercise for you. Really, really, really fast say "tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick." That's what my engine sounds like. It's very quite but very anoying. 4) I always take my truck into the dealer for LOF's and maintenance required, like every 3,000 miles whether it needs it or not. 5) The other thing that's anoying, which also makes me think it's the timing belt(chain) is that when I'm driving down the road at about 55mph ('cause you know, it's not good to speed), and I come up to a very slight incline, my truck drops in speed about 10mph and I have to slam the gas pedal down. 6) Finally, I've changed to synthetic oil, changed my plugs and their wires, (well, not me but a mechanic), and my truck still sounds like and runs like pooh! Anyway, thanks to anyone that can help me here. I don't want to be taken to the cleaners by some dealer that says my engine needs to be removed or I need work to my truck and it doesn't.

Reply to
Robin

Gerald Riggs

It could be the cam chain, which is easier to access than the timing chain (which is a chain and may require engine removal IIRC). I believe the Sports have the V6 SOHC engine. If that is the case then check with the dealer (and maybe not the dealer you are at if they didn't know about these) regarding two extended warranties on the cam chain guide and tensioner:

00M12 NOV 00 Campaign - Camshaft Chain Tensioner & Intake Gasket 01M01 APR 01 Campaign - Front Cam Chain Guide Extended Coverage

They are Ford general recalls -- any Ford dealer should know about them but they are only for the SOHC V6 engine. Even if you are over mileage you should be able to get a discount from Ford if the issue is related to the above.

FYI, you can check for other recalls etc. at this site:

Al Williams