Timing Chain Tensioner

My son is looking at a 1998 Explorer which has the 4.0L OHV V6 engine (not the SOHC). It looks and runs great except for one thing. When the engine starts there is a squeal that lasts about a second. I've heard this noise on other Fords but have never know the cause. I asked the owner and he said it was the the timing chain tensioner and the noise was common on Explorers. From what I have read in this newsgroup the the timing chain tensioner has been a problem on the SOHC but I have not seen this with the OHC. I'm looking for information on this squealing when the engine starts, how serious it could be, and what it would take to fix it. Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett

Hi Mark,

I am not familiar with the timing chain on an OHV 4.0. A good way to check(if the owner is willing) is to remove the drive belt and start the engine. If the noise dissapears, it's not the tensioner. If it is there, it may be that tensioner. I don't know if it's a common problem or something to be concerned about. A google search on 'Ford 4.0 timing tensioner' may reveal more information. I would lean more toward the engine accessory drive belt's tensioner or idler pulley being the culprit.

Please note that Rangers and Explorers of that vintage share the same automatic transmission, model 5R55E. It is a smooth-shifting 5 Speed transmission known for a lot of failures. A rebuilt unit runs about $12-1500 before installation. Do a google search on '5R55E Problems'. If the Explorer has over 100,000 miles or has been used to tow, I would be very leery. Look for maintenance records showing the fluid and filter changes every 20-30k, check for a transmission cooler, and make sure it's got Mercon V.

HTH,

Carl

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Information on this can be had on

Dick

Reply to
Bigusdickus

Carl, thanks for the response. I will try tempoerily removing the drive belt to diagnose the problem. Thanks, Mark

PS: The 98 we are looking at has a manual transmission.

Reply to
Mark Barrett

Dick, thanks for the response. I'll do some reading. Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett

Mark,

Glad to see it has the manual transmission, though I have no information about how relaible it is. Check out

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I just had to replace my harmonic balancer of my 2004 Explorer. I remember that it started squealing about a month before it went bad. I found the balancer has a middle part that is made of non-metal type. More like a hard rubber type that keep the balancer aligned with the rest of the belts... The service explained that it went bad & it got off alignment & cut into my A/C manifold line. Also, my A/C stopped working. Costed me 1300 to replace both parts... Hope this help you locate the squealing.. could be something else.

Mark Barrett wrote:

Reply to
DQ