Tire Experience, GoodYear and Bridgestone

I am soon going to purchase a set of new tires for my '05 Limited as the original BFG's are getting so noisy that I don't want to listen to it any more. And yes, they have been rotated regularly and front end alignment checked.

My Ford dealer recommends the GoodYear Fortera Triple Tred over the Michelin Cross Terrain and LTX M/S. Tire rack ratings show the GoodYear as superior to the others, but also show the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza with very good ratings, better than Michelin. My personal experience with the LTX M/S has been very good, don't have any experience with the Cross Terrain.

My question is - can anyone comment about their experience with the GoodYear or the Bridgestone?

Reply to
Big Shoe

I have had the Bridgstones and they were quiet but would not stop in snow. Replaced two front bumpers because of the poor wet traction on the Dueler HL. Replaced the Duelers with Yokohama's than gave the Explorer to our son and now we have a Lincoln with Michelins. The Yokohama's were great tires at half the price of the Dueler and LTX. Super traction in wet or dry but don't expect to get much more than 40,000 miles out of them if that much. The Explorer is on it's fourth set of tires and our son loves it, I have 20,000 on the Lincoln Aviator with Michelins with no problems. If all the tires were free I would chose any one except the Bridgstones. Good luck on your choice.

Ron

Reply to
Ron B.

My '96 Explorer V8 came with the Firestone ATX, Replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S, when they finally wore out, I replaced them with the current tires, Goodyear Fortera Silent Guard, so far no problems.

The Goodyear Fortera Triple-Tred is a unidirectional tire, the tred runs in one direction, no cross-tire rotation.

Reply to
Fred 2

Reply to
Big Shoe

I got Michelin Cross Terrain via the Firestone debacle. At 40K miles the firestones were worn out. The Mich'es are still going at 55K. Quiet, good feel and excellent in snow. They're my choice for the next time I buy tires.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Big Shoe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've got the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. The Revo is the best one they have. Great tire, mud, snow, gravel. A little noisier than the stock street tires, but not as noisy as the BFG A/Ts I had on another car (great tires too). If you do anything in the snow, or on boat ramps etc., you should get these. Whatever you end up doing, check Costco. If they don't carry the tire you want, they can usually order it if they carry that brand and get it in day or two. That's what they did with my Revos and it was the best deal of any place when you included the mounting, balancing, stems etc. that are big add on's a most places.

Reply to
akheel

Reply to
Big Shoe

Michelin LTX M/S... accept no substitutes. I have had these on many vehicles and never looked back... good performance, good treadwear, good everything.

My 1994 beater truck is coming due for tires.... this rusty old piece of crap (that I wont allow my loving bride to drive) will get my tire of choice....

To paraphrase the woodworking newsgroup - "buy the best and only cry once...".

Reply to
Jim Warman

I got the Michelins as the exchange for the original Firestones.

They're basically OK, although the speedometer reads 3 mph faster, now. And, sometimes I hear a background jet overhead, and then realize that is the tires. It's not really noisy, but it is there on certain concrete pavements when driving at highway speeds.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Actually, the Michelins were Michelin LTX M/S, the same ones Jim Warman recommends. . .

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman

I took a close look at the original Goodrich tires, which have gotten very noisy. What I had not noticed before is that many of the blocks in the tread are worn to a different height than the surrounding blocks. This has to be defective materials and workmanship. No way could that happen from balance or alignment problems. Trouble is if I ask for an adjustment I have to buy new Goodrich tires, so will not do that.

Thanks for the >On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:45:57 -0500, Alan snipped-for-privacy@visi.com wrote: >

Reply to
Big Shoe

I had a similar problem with Michelins. my mechanic (very honest) said the tire noise and uneven wear were due to tire cupping, possibly caused by bad shocks. these were Michelins LTX with about 45000 miles.

I had shocks replaced and put on new set of Michelins (same tire that I had on car).

Thanks for the >On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:45:57 -0500, Alan snipped-for-privacy@visi.com wrote: >

Reply to
stevie

Jim Haven't seen any postings on the woodworking group in quite awhile. Different sig??

Reply to
Bill Hall

Tire cupping is caused from not enough balancing, improper alignment, worn shocks, etc. I know this. I have credentials from Goodyear. One thing to keep in mind... Any miles over 40k on an SUV or Light Truck on one set of tires are "bonus" miles. Tire salespersons will sell you 70k mile tires or whatever the warranty you want - however, few tires will last that long. The catch on the mileage warranty is this... Let's say you bought 70k mile tires. But they wore out in under 50k miles. Guess what? You pay for the tread you used. If you used 90% of the tread (doesn't matter how many miles), you will pay 90% of the price of the new replacement. Thats 90% of the RETAIL price of the new. Not the great deal you got because you shopped and compared and played this dealer against that dealer. You may have gotten tires at say $50 per, but "retail" could be $80 per. You do the math...

Anyways, I bought some Goodyear Wrangler MTR's 20k miles ago. I purchased the "Road hazard warranty" (which I always recommend) because it included free lifetime rotation AND balancing. I use it. Every 3k, I have these mudders rotated and balanced. No vibration, no cupping. Major road noise due to the big lugs but that's what ya get with mudder tires. The tires, brand new have 19/32 of tread on them. After 20k, (because I take care of this small investment) I am only down to 17/32nds of tread. Phenomenal considering the type of tire.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
shizznick