Tire wear

What kind of tire wear are you getting with your Explorer? I just replaced the OEM P235/70-16 Michelin Cross Terrains on my 2002 Explorer and I got 42k miles out of them. They were just approaching the wear indicators. Amazingly, the tires never had to be re-balanced for the entire 42k miles and ran true and vibration-free at any speed. All I did was make sure the tire pressures were correct and rotate them once in a while. I had no problem buying the same exact tire again.

4.0L
Reply to
4.0L

I got about 53K on our original set before being replaced with more Cross Terrains. Sounds like I had the same maintenance and experience as you. Probably could have been driven another few thousand before hitting the wear indicators.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

My experience has been that Goodyears were garbage and lasted less than 20K Pittsburgh miles but Michelins on the same vehicle went over 50K. Interestingly, the Firestones that got recalled were like new at 25K when they got recalled. The Goodrich tires on my 2003 Mountaineer (the other tires were on a '99 Explorer) only last 25000 miles. I am approaching 50K (on my second set) and will get Michelins this time, even though they are much more expensive.

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

I have 22K on BFgoodrich AtKO's starting tread depth 16 tread depth now 13

Says alot for BFG's , Whenever I buy a vehicle part of the bargin is getting rid of the Goodyears in exchange for BFG ATKO

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

So far, I got 41K on the factory goodyears, with 6-8K still to go on our '02 EB. Also they have never needed to be rebalanced either, just about 3 rotations. wth

Reply to
wth

Are you sure you have GOODYEAR and not GOODRICH? I don't think Ford used Goodyears on the '02s or since. And if you have 41K on Goodrich, wow, you're doing great. You probably live in a mild climate with not too many hills. Tires here (Pittsburgh) get torn up all the time.

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

Reply to
Big Shoe

My Michelin LTX's look like they will go well over 50K.

Reply to
Frank Berger

my LTXs went over 65K and still had tread left when I got new ones.

The tires were 'cupping'. Not sure what the cause was. It drove OK, but had road noise due to cupping.

I replaced shocks (still had originals) and had alignment.

Fortunately, Sears gave me a pretty good credit, so I purchased the same new LTXtires.

2000 Limited 5.0 2WD

My Michelin LTX's look like they will go well over 50K.

Reply to
stevie

Goodyear Wrangler AP. Vehicle was built in 8/02, on of the last 02's wth

Reply to
wth

On second thought, new BF Goodrich tires are $78 per tire (Tire Rack) or about $425 "full monty" (four tires) with shipping and nusance fees including installation. New Michelins are almost $800. Will they last TWICE as long as the Goodrichs? Probably 35000-40000 miles here in Pittsburgh (versus 25,000 for Goodrich)...so dollar per mile the Goodrichs seem to be a better deal after all.

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

I replaced my OEM Firestones, with their 75K miles, during the Ford recall, with Michelin 235/16 LTX M/S. I now have 84K just on this set of Michelins and they look great. They are rotated every 5K. I will likely purchase new Michelins next time for my '98 Explorer EB.

Reply to
Passerby