Tires

I've got a 1995 XLT 4WD Explorer, and want to buy a set of new tires. I live in Wisconsin, and we get a fair amount of snow. I don't really do any off road driving, and want the best tire for the vehicle. By "best tire" I mean safety, noise, wet and dry traction. thanks.

Reply to
Jacob

My personal fave (shared by others in this group of misfits) is the Michelin LTX M/S. Quiet, long tread life, hold balance well and rarely ever a separation. The tread on these cleans itself much better than the A/S.

Reply to
Jim Warman

From my experience I will second Jim's pick. I have owned a 94 and now a 2000 explorer and love the Michelin tires........put them on the 94 and also I picked the one from Sears most recently, for the 2000, called the XC LT4 Michelin P255 70 S16 and they are great.

Get the Michelin and you won't be sorry. They are very reliable. the best pick for the Explorer.

Bill............

Reply to
Bill V

I also recommend Michelins. I considered the LTX M/S and ultimately bought the Cross Terrains. The difference between these and the old tires I had is night and day. My only regret is that I let the dealer put crappy tires on during the Firestone recall.

Reply to
Ratbert

I'll put in another vote for Michelin LTX M/S. I originally had the stock Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's on my 2002 EB. Once I switched to the Michelin's, it was a totally different truck. All in all, an awesome tire for this particular vehicle.

Jim

Reply to
JMK3rd

We had LTX M/S tires on our Expedition, and still have them on our Explorer. We put Cross Terrains on the Expedition last time, and they are better, IMO. They are a slightly rougher riding tire, but wet traction is better (we just had 3 days of rain here in Phoenix, so I got to check this out), and gas mileage has improved. Off road is something I do a little of, and I can't notice a difference; probably because I'm not hard-core enought to really test that.

Reply to
Big Bill

Me too. I have the Michelins on my '91 and '92 and think they are the best overall. They wear so long I actually had to get them rebalanced on my '91 at about 40K miles (when other tires are worn out) and they look like they will go another 40K miles.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
Jacob

Heard lots of radio ads and heard lots of sales... no actual experience with the tires, though. If the tires have the balls to back up the ads, they should be pretty good.

Michelins, I do have experience with.... The devil I do know is usually better than the devil I don't...

If you opt for the Nokias, let us know your impressions. I laughed at Hankooks when I first discovered them.... these are a decent tire for the price and I have tried them in the past. The Z36 is real good on roads with sharp gravel.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Jacob

I put a set of LTX M/S on my 94 Explorer and they lasted 80k miles.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Reply to
Jonah

Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to give me advice on tires. I bought the Michelin LTX MS tires and so far I'm very satisfied. Today it is snowing and I went out and tested them and they work very nicely. Thanks, again.

Reply to
Jacob

How do they compare with your previous set of tires?

Jim

Reply to
JMK3rd

This post may be too old now but here goes anyway: in the past 2 weeks I've had two Michelin LTX M/S tires momentarily seperate from the rim allowing mud/dirt to get in there and cause a leak. I'm not sure if it was caused by hitting a rut too hard or going sideways through the mud at 30 mph. I keep my tires at around 32 psi. Too low perhaps? In any case I still like the Michelins best but a 6 ply sidewall might be better for my conditions. Anyone know if Michelin makes one?

Reply to
Ulysses