trailer towing plug

I have a 05 explorer with the class 3 towing package. It came with the plug to conect up an electric brake but i can't find were it plugs up at. I think it's some were under the dash because the wires are only abot 12'' long, but were??? tkanks for any replys

Reply to
harleyguy

When I got my '02 with the towing package, there was a sheet of paper describing the plug, its location, and its wire color codes. There was also a matching electrical connector (pigtail), for making the connection to the brake controller. However, as I recall they were hidden somewhere. Not the glove compartment - maybe in one of the wells just inside the tailgate? Near the jack? Sorry I can't be more specific, but I recall that I stumbled across them almost by accident.

Bill Jeffrey ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

harleyguy wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

You mean that it comes with an electric trailer brake control already installed? My only experience with this is the trailer brake control being a seperate unit that needs to be adjusted by the operator for optimum performance. I would suspect that any modern trailer brake control would need to be adjusted as trailers vary tremendously. Unless you have something to adjust or have some evidence that it exists such as instructions in the owner's manual I would think it doesn't exist.

Reply to
Ulysses

My '02 Explorer XLT came with the tow package. I found the electric brake plug behind the glovebox. I made an extension and routed it over to the driver's side, where I attached my electric brake controller to the underside of the dash. Works great!

4.0L
Reply to
4.0L

No, not the controller. Just a single connector behind the dash that brings the requisitie wiring to one place. Requisite wiring being +12V, ground, Explorer brake light, and a wire to the 7-pin Bargman plug on the rear bumper.

Ford supplies a matching connector with flying leads, those leads to be spliced into your chosen controller's wiring harness.

BTW, PUH-LEEZE don't choose a cheap 'n' crappy time-cycle controller.

Ulysses wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

On my '05, the brake controller wiring harness had to connect to the plug on the passenger side, behind the glove box. It was pretty cleverly hidden. It was taped to another bundle of wires, facing up, so it was difficult to see. I just had to cut a little bit of the black tape holding it up, routed the wiring harness to the driver's side (not sure why they just dont' put the plug over there!) (BTW, the wire routing took me a long time), connected it to the brake controller which I mounted to the plastic on the right side of the steering column. It doesn't hit my leg and my wife barely sees it (it's actually her rig, which I get to drive when we tow) when she drives.

Richard Minami '05 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4x4 '94 Honda Accord LX '97 Coleman Yukon

Reply to
Richard Minami