Transfer case problem 1997 Explorer

My 1997 Ford Explore has been in the shop for 4 weeks now. I first noticed the problem when a loud banging noise occasionally came from under the car when pulling slight hills. My local Ford dealer (after checking almost everything) said the chain in the transfer case is loose and is jumping over the sprockets. They have ordered a new chain but said that Ford no longer makes the sprockets. The existing sprockets have deteriorated as a result of the slipping chain. It is surprising to me that Ford no longer makes these sprockets. Anyone out there have or had a similar problem? Norm.

Reply to
Norman Perry

It is relatively easy for an experienced tech to identify a loose transfer case chain.... In 40 years, I have RARELY seen the need to replace chain and sprockets... especially if you aren't pulling those hills in 4WD...

Without a little more info, I smell a very expensive disappointment looming.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I find it hard to beleive that Ford does not have the parts available. I would call them personally. Did you actually SEE the worn sprockets?

Now, if they said Ford no longer makes the sprocket-removal TOOL then I'd believe them.

Reply to
Ulysses

I would want further diagnosis. If it did turn out t

be the transfer case, I would not be trying to repair it. Replacin it would be a better idea, with either a used or rebuilt unit. Goo luck

Reply to
CDW6212R

You don't say if it's an AWD or 4WD but either way the case is a Borg Warner (4404) if it's AWD, and they still make every part for your transfer case. Your dealer is full of crap.

Reply to
John Smith

Ditto, make sure to check if the truck has a spee

sensor on the TC or not. The 97 year had a lot of mid year changes If you have a speed sensor there, then you have to have a lik transfer case. If it doesn't then you can use any 96-01 AWD TC, th later trucks have the speed sensor in the rear diff. housing

Reply to
CDW6212R