Transmission failed?

I've posted here once or twice before, and I'm hoping that I can rely your expertise and great advice again.

My '97 Explorer Sport (90K) seems to have some transmission problems, and before I call the mechanic I thought I'd see what you all thought. It worked fine earlier in the day, but when I went to tuck it into the driveway last night I pulled it forward, which worked fine, but when I put it into reverse, nothing. It acted as though it was in neutral. I tried all of the gears, but same thing, it lets me select the gear, but then acts the same as in neutral. The engine seems to run fine, and the shifter feels the same as it always has, it just feels like it may not be engaging??

I apologize, I know little to nothing about transmissions, hence my posting here. I'm hoping that someone can tell me what the problem might be, and more importantly how serious/fixable this is. Is there anything I can try before having it towed over to the garage? Many thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
Saramelah

Check the fluid level?

Reply to
Hairy

That was the first thing I did this morning, the fluid looks fine and is inside normal levels.

Reply to
Saramelah

Follow up, mechanic is quoting $4000 for a rebuilt transmission, which is what the problem is. $4000 for a rebuilt seems EXTREMELY high??? The other option, he says, is a used for $3100. I'm thinking the other option is to call around for other quotes...

Any thoughts??

Reply to
Saramelah

Definitely call around. Those prices are astronomical ! A rebuilt trans itself should cost ~$1000 and maybe 5 or so hours of labor to install.

Reply to
Steve Sigman

Dont remeber what year you had, but you can get an 5r55e tranny rebuilt on ebay for less than 800.00

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

Sounds to me like your shift linkage has fallen off or came disconnected ..You say what ever gear you put it in you stay in nuetral right ? This is not the way these transmissions go when they quit .get someone to crawl under the vehicle and visually check to see if the shifter on the transmission is moving .. If you still have no gears I have a used trans for $500.00 .I just bought a 95 explore that was in an accident but still drives ( but not very fast ) with 188 kilometers on it .I but these vehicles and part them out ..I'm in calgary and I'm talking canadian dollars .. You could also have a torque converter problem though not common ..Could tou have shifted your transfercase into nuetral by accident ?? I'm not sure if you can do that on an exploere but I did on my chevy truck once ...Good luck ..

Reply to
xcaret

Sorry to tell you my 95 trans will not fit ( i just checked my in terchange book ( i'm a retired autowrecker) You are being charged way to much for a used one ..you should find one for closser to $1000.00 I, sending an address you can check out ..It's a used parts line for all of north america ..just type in your area .

Good luck..and byw most transmission shops are sleaze bags and i wouldstill check the shifter on the trans ..

Reply to
xcaret