Transmission fluid loss update. 1994 EB

My 1994 EB 160,000 miles, spewed out all the transmission fluid., I had the vehicle recovered to my local wrench. He refilled 5 quarts of fluid, let the vehicle sit for two hours with the ac on, could not get the transmission to discharge. So we hooked up the trailer with the bike onboard and set off for Knoxville TN for the Honda Hoot.

450 miles later out shot all the fluid, we called AAA, did you know they do not cover the trailer. $20 hook up and 2 dollars a mile, Wrecker took us 150 miles to our friends. $300, AAA paid for the first 100 but not the trailer. We did a survey of all the transmissions shops in Maryville, settled on Roy's transmission, very clean two bay workshop next to his home, also very clean and tidy. He recommended a complete overhaul and a transmission cooler, cost $1500. On dismantling, he found serious overheating and burnt plates and seals. We took the EB on a real stiff test, up the Smoky Mountains before we drove home Sunday. She Runs Good.

I would recommend Roy's Transmission any time.

Reply to
limeybiker

I was hauling my trailer full of wood and stuff for the cabin I have up in the northern Quebec and my tranny did the same thing. Was hot and I was overloaded. Fill it up and let her cool down for couple hours and went perfectly afterward, no more issue but next time I won't charge too much.

"limeybiker" a écrit dans le message de news:j6iEc.160602$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
The Punisher

You probably have the A4LD transmission, which is the same one that was in my 1993 Ranger. They are notorious for blowing the front seal. The strange thing about my transmission problem was that it only leaked when under load and hot. Driving around town unloaded, it did not leak. When I pulled the transmission and inspected the seal, I noticed the rubber had separated from the steel rim. It separated in such a way that light pressure caused the split to be held closed, but under higher pressure, or when hot, the fluid forced it's way past the seal. After I replaced the seal no problem. However, I got rid of the truck and now drive a 2002 F-150, FX4, with the

5.4 engine. It's been a much better truck than the Ranger. Ron

Reply to
R&B

I've had the same problem three times in the past four years with the A4LD in my 92 Exploder. Now it is doing it again, and I'm going to attempt to replace the seal myself. I have rebuilt manual transmissions, but this is the first automatic I've ever worked on. I really ought to just junk it, but I'm willing to give it a try first.

So, question is, are any special tools needed for replacing the front seal? I already have a transmission jack.

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Manifold

When I had my transmission reconditioned, total. He said he could replace the seal and it would get me home, but that the torque converter was burnt and causing the overheating, which caused the seal to stick open allowing the fluid to blow past.

Cooling down the seal reset and the fluid stayed put.

If you have decent mechanic skills, I would think it would be possible to do the job in situ.

In my opinion though, removing the gearbox and reconditioning would be the better practise.

AAMCO, offer a three year warranty but charge $3000, I got a six months warranty for less than half that price and having inspected the premises and the person doing the work, I have more confidence in the work I had done.

A knowledgeable mechanic relative said he would only replace the gearbox with a "Jasper" again a $3000 price tag.

It may be possible to buy the "Jasper" and DIY.

Reply to
limey

limey wrote:

limey wrote:

You get what you pay for what you get.

I agree that AAMCO is outrageous on their replacement transmissions. Notice I said "replacement". There are no rebuild facilities on site. It's a matter of take out the old tranny, put in the new tranny, they know what is in it and how they did it, therefore they can stand behind their work with a three year warranty. For what it's worth, my local wrench says that after my front seal blew (extra stress due to towing a trailer) he towed it back home (over 150 miles on a flatbed) he pulled the transmission to find brown fluid (expected) and a blown front seal. He replaced the rear engine seal for preventive maintenance, and both transmission seals, and bolted everything back together for a road test. All was well. Come back in six months and change the fluid again. Did that again just in case their was any debris. None was found. Total charge for the repair was $780 + tax. Runs well and tows my boat. A word of warning. DO NOT TOW IN OVERDRIVE! It's a sure way to meet the same fate my transmission did.

To do a DIY tranny change, hands down go with a Jasper. Good rep with the professional mechanics and the shadetrees alike. Again, like the old commercial said, you can pay me now, or pay me later.

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price. However... If you will settle for oats that have already been through a horse, they come cheaper."

Reply to
Richard Ray

Richard Ray wrotenews:5VDIc.22155$ri.21960@lakeread04:

DO NOT TOW IN OVERDRIVE! It's a sure way to meet the same

I never have, with any car. I only use overdrive/4th gear when going down a hill or when there is a slight decline when towing.

Otherwise, it's 55-60mph in fourth gear all the way, varying my speed, and letting it slow down on hills when towing a heavy boat for example. I join the large semis tractors puffing up the hills so as not to put too much stain on the tranny.

On a day's trip, I get there a half hour later than normal, big deal.

-- riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi