Transmission Problem 1992 Madaz Navjo (Ford Explorer)

I have a 1992 2 door Madaz Navjo (Ford Explorer) which was built by the Ford Motor Company. This vehicle has a 5 speed automatic transmission just over

100,000 miles. When I drive the vehicle from a cold start and stop at a stop sign or red light while the transmission is in drive, the transmission stops responding in the drive position then a few seconds later the transmission responds. It is something like the transmission is in drive when I make a stop then after I make a stop it like the transmission is in the neutral setting.
Reply to
MSteve

Not familiar with a 5 speed auto in a '92.... have you checked fluid level and condition??

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have a 92 Ford Explorer with 290k miles on it. @nd transmission has 180k on it. I have a problem with drving the vehicle now. When I put the automatic trans in drive or reverse, the engine just stalls out. It feels like there may not be any transfer of power happening. It all started somewhat suddenly at two previous stop signs. Then it would rattle and want to stop . but I managed to get it off the street and now it is standed in a parking lot and won't move.

My car buddy said that there may be a sensor in the trans that sends a signal to the torque converter. He said that your should be able to just disconnect the connection to the convertor and the truck will still drive around.

Have you heard of this connection and if so where is it located on the transmission.

Thanks..Ken snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
seacruise2