Turn Signal Switch Buzzing

I have a 96 Explorer 4DR 4WD. I get a buzzing noise when I signal to turn right. If I barely move the turn signal switch it won't buzz, but if I flip it all the way it buzzes. Is it the switch or maybe a flasher? If anyone could advise I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

I have a 96 Explorer 4DR 4WD and I get the same problem. It gets worse during rainy and snowy weather. The buzzing was being made by the turn signal relay (I grabbed it and it was vibrating) so I replaced the relay but the problem persisted. It's been summer and I haven't had it start up again yet this year but I don't feel like paying some guy at the dealership to fix it if it is something simple I can take care of myself.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Day

It's the turn signal switch itself (called the 'multi-function switch'). Go get one at your Ford dealer or online and replace it. You can clean it, but it will come back. Search this newsgroup for "multi function switch" to find past threads.

Reply to
Ratbert

Buzzing relays are often a sign of poor ground.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

It's a yellow box that is buzzing. I think it's the flasher. I was going to pull the wiring and see if i was getting 12vdc with the signal turned on or better yet follow th etrouble shooting recommendations on my Ford CD. I'll check the ground too.

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

Thanks, i'll check that out. The problem seems to have gone away since i've been messing around with it. I have a feeling it might be the multi function switch like Ratbert said since it works for lane change but intermittently when I flip the switch all the way up.

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

It was the Multi Function Switch. Dealer had another name for it, but the part was only $55 and cheaper than the online guys. Just took a Torx head to RR. Thanks y'all for the help.

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson