Vapor Recovery Smog Test Details

I have a '91 Explorer and it's due for a smog test. They now have included a vapor recovery system test. Can anyone tell me what the test is comprised of? Or how I can determine beforehand if it will probably pass? I heard they pressurize the fuel system but I don't know at what pressure or how long it needs to hold that pressure. It seems to me the possible places it could leak would be the fill pipe, the vapor recovery line, and the fuel pump. Anywhere else I should check?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

I had the same problem on my '92 Ranger at about 105,000 miles.

Glen

Reply to
Arthur Dent

My Explorer *had* a couple of holes in the fill pipe that looked like they were punched with a machine--nice, neat, round holes. I patched them in the past because it leaked gasoline when filliing up or on a steep slope. I managed to get the filler pipe and vapor hose to hold pressure but now it seems to be losing pressure somewhere at the top of the gas tank, possibly where the fuel pump is connected. I guess the only thing to do now is to drop and tank and look.

I took apart an old gas cap (just remove the outer ring on the inside), put it in, and pressurized the system to about 10-15 psi using a 9mm socket and air blower and it didn't hold pressure for very long. The socket just happens to be about the right size to fit into the recess around the purge valve.

The guy at the auto parts store said people are making up their own fill pipes using silicone-linied radiator hose and exhaust pipe fittings or ABS pipe. Ford gets $380 for a new assembly for my year of Explorer!

Reply to
Ulysses

I kept calling smog test centers and finally got some info: they pressurize the system using nitrogen at about 30 psi but I'm not sure for how long. They apparently test all the way from the charcoal canister to the gas cap!!! California is coming up with new ways to get old cars off the road. I guess they need the money from the sales taxes and registrations so all the fat-assed ruling class types can buy new cars and bigger houses.

Meanwhile, my '78 F350 passed the new test and the smog guy told me that was it's last smog test. Well, they repealed the "30 year rollover" and now the cutoff is at 1976. This state can't possibly survive.

Reply to
Ulysses

Since the rest of the country is about to be fully Californicated over the next 4 to 8 years, that should help for a while.

After that, we'll all go down together.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

It's like the old Tom Lehrer song, "We will all go together when we go." B-P

1994 Explorer XLT here.
Reply to
Charles D. Mandus