What are you getting for mileage on your 2004 V6 ?

I had a 2000 V8 with AWD and could get 18+ without trying too hard. About a 50-50 mix of around town/highway driving.

Now, the 04 with the standard V6 (no AWD) is getting 15 or so. Same driving habits. Same people driving the car. No new loads.

This just sounds way off to me. I would expect no worse than the 18 I was getting on a larger engine. I have about 16K miles now and mileage has been very consistent since day one.

Reply to
Mark

The 2004 is larger and heavier than the 2000. Do they both have the same rear gears? Are you sure your driving styles have not changed becasue of different preceived dynamics (maybe the 04 is quieter and smoother, so you unconciously accelerate harder)? How do you check your gas mileage. One tank averages are notouriously inaccurate. The on board computers are not particualrly accurate either (my Expedition's onboard computer over estimates the mileage by at least 1 mpg, My Mother's Grand Marquis computer always underestimates the mileage).

The EPA estimated a 2000 V8 AWD Explorer at 14 city / 20 Highway. A 2004 V-6

4WD Exploer is rated at 15 city / 20 Highway. It seems to me that, the 2004 V-6 should get the same mileage as the 2000 V-8 all other factor being equal. However, all factors are not always equal. Since the 2004 is heavier than the 2000, if you tend to accelerate briskly, you could expect the 2004 to get worse mielage. Likewise, since the 2004 is larger, it is likely to get slightly lower mileage at higher speeds.

2004 V-6 4x4 - 210 Hp, 3.55:1 Rear Axle (std, 3.73 optional); 4480 lb curb weight; .41 drag coefficient; 36 sq ft frontal area

2000 V-8 AWD - 215 Hp, 3.55:1 Rear Axle (std, 3.73 optional); 4113 lb curb weight, .xx drag coefficient, 33 sq ft frontal area

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White