What is the size of torx bit for caliper bolts? 96 XLT

I am planning on changing the stock brakes on my '96 XLT AWD V8. Still stock brakes at 86K miles.

I notice the caliper bolts have a torx head on them.

Since I need to buy a set of these I want to make sure I get the right size torx bits.

Thanks!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Miller

Hmmm..... I don't remember needing a torx bit to do mine ('96 V6 XLT). Seems like a standard metric socket will suffice. My Chilton's shows that the '91-94 models used a single piston caliper and it looks like those used a torx bolt, but far as I know the '95-'99 (and maybe beyond) use a standard sized metric hex bolt. To change the just pads (e.g. and not turn/resurface the disc) you don't need to remove the whole caliper assembly, just the caliper slide pin bolts, after which you can slide the caliper piston up out of the anchor plate and off the disc. Don't let the caliper hang by the brake hose... use a wire or piece of a coat hanger to hold it up while you're working.

Steve

Reply to
Just_Steve