What kind of maintenance for very low mileage?

I have a Ford Explorer that I mostly use for hauling boxes over short distances -- most things are within walking distance around here, so I put a max of about 3,000 miles per year on the truck. (How many of you would like to be filling up once a month right now?)

What kind of regular maintenance is appropriate for such low mileage? An oil change every 3,000 miles would only be once a year, so I go every 4 months or so. Is this often enough, or too often? Should I really be waiting five years for the 15k checkups?

Reply to
brianmost

You sound like me with my '96 and 121k miles. It's now a Forest Road, hauling bigger items and bad weather vehicle and puts on about 3k per year like yours. For what it's worth, I go with oil changes every six months and stick with the Owner's manual mileage suggestions for other items.

I await others' responses.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

All I know is that petrolium does not spoil. It can get diluted and dirty but if your in a clean enviroment no dirt roads or sand blowing, change your oil by milage not time.

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

I use Mobil One synthetic, and change it once a year, just before winter hits.

On the rare occasion that I plan a road trip, I'll change the oil before that, unless it was just changed for the winter season.

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

Reply to
Alan Moorman

I am no expert but would suggest doing maintenance sooner than indicated in the manual (ie do not wait for the mileage mark for check-ups, etc).

My 96 Ranger has > >

Reply to
tyson.morrow