What's This Thing . . . ?

On my '93 4.0 Explorer XLT there is a black plastic oblong (or sausage) shaped container of some sort on the passenger side of the motor. It's about 10 inches long and 3-4 inches around and has what appears to be hard plastic vacuum lines attached to it. It's pictured in my cheapie Chilton's manual, but it's not identified anywhere I can find.

Some of the vacuum lines (if that's what they are) are broken and that's why I'm asking. This is a California truck if that matters and it's a smog thing.

Thanks,

NickD

Reply to
NickD

Here's a photo . . .

NickD

Reply to
NickD

It looks like a vacuum reservoir for the AC vacuum motors. So when you floor it the ac doors don't all close due to lack of vacuum. If the vacuum lines are broken that go to it then your AC system should have problems sending air to the right places.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That is the refrigerant dryer for your AC system. It contains silica gel bags through which the 134a is circulated to absorb any moisture. There are three pipes. The first two are similar in appearance and are inlet and outlet for the refrigerant. The other is like an open pipe with some kind of electrical sensor just before the can. That is your AC thermostat. The open pipe is in fact a filling nipple for topping up on refrigerant. I know all this because where I am this can costs $120 to replace so with a little cutting and brazing I used a generic dryer tank like what you'd find in any Japanese car. What do you know, I worked!

Reply to
boomouse

The thing he pointed to is not the refrigerant dryer. In his picture the dryer is farther to the left and has wires going to the low pressure switch. The thing he is pointing to is plastic and has plastic vacuum lines connected to it (when they are not broken).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher