what to do with a crack in the radiator?

is that fixable or do i need to buy a new one? i heard there is some kind of stuff that seals the cracks but is that reliable? car year:1994

any info would help alot.

Reply to
NotAcarGuy94

Anything you goop on there will be temporary, and NOT reliable.

If you pull the radiator out, and take it to a rad shop, they can replace the cracked tank for you, or, depending on the condition of the rest of the radiator, sell you a rebuilt.

Don't know what it's like around there, but here I'd expect to pay around $100.00 for a rebuilt rad with a warranty..

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Chief, have you ever tried JB Weld? I have even used it on gas tanks with satisfactory results. It is cold, heat, and solvent resistant, and if I was going to attempt a radiator repair with it, I would have to remove and prep the surface first, and allow a full 24 hours cure before returning to service. It would likely work fine, and it's very close to the same epoxy used on the radiator to begin with. Prep is the key to making it work. If at all possible remove the tank to the indoors to work on it. Making sure that the surface is facing upwards so the epoxy stays where you put it. The surface must be clean ( use alcohol ), preferably scuffing the area with 320 grit for best hold. Mix epoxy ( JB Weld ) and apply to part to be repaired. let set for 24 hours and don't stick your fingers on it until that 24 hours is up. The repair will look like a lump, but it will be fixed. Don't muck it up by grinding it off to make it look good. ( ah, the stories I could tell ).

"Chief_Wiggum" wrote in message news:ABIxd.57064$DC.14973@fed1read03... | Anything you goop on there will be temporary, and NOT reliable. | | If you pull the radiator out, and take it to a rad shop, they can replace | the cracked tank for you, or, depending on the condition of the rest of the | radiator, sell you a rebuilt. | | Don't know what it's like around there, but here I'd expect to pay around | $100.00 for a rebuilt rad with a warranty.. | | | "NotAcarGuy94" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com... | > is that fixable or do i need to buy a new one? i heard there is some kind | > of stuff that seals the cracks but is that reliable? | > car year:1994 | >

| > any info would help alot. | >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

Depends on your financial situation I guess. None of the dump in "quick" fix product will "fix" a radiator leak they are a half-assed patch at best. Some of them even cause more problems then they help. Either have it repaired, properly or replace it. Today I lump the radiator in with my tires, brakes, batteries, belts and hoses. I don't fart around with these critical component. If it leaks, I take that as an opportunity to buy a new four core radiator for that rig.

Reply to
351CJ

JB weld is good stuff. I had an old 1953 Chevy that froze up in cold weather. It busted the head, big time. I fill it up with water and it all spewed out 10 seconds later. I bought enough JB weld to fill the crack that was large enough to look in and see part of the valve stem. I ran the motor to get it hot, filled the crack with JB weld, and let it set overnight. The next day I filled the radiator with water and no leaks. I sold the car the next weekend, real cheap. I showed the buyer the repair. He drove the car around the block, came back and said I'll take it. Don't know how long it ran after the sale, but we were both satisfied. Ron

Reply to
R&B

This may sound really dump but pepper is a temporary fix.

Reply to
ak47sarah

"Chief_Wiggum" wrotenews:ABIxd.57064$DC.14973 @fed1read03:

I bought one online and had it delivered to my door, brand new for $137 FYI.

Had to get a shadetree to put it in though. Another $75.

-- Riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi