Where are the all junked Explorers?

Hey all. I lurk here now and then and did a search on my question that didn't help. I live in Silicon Valley (San Jose) and I'm looking for a used factory sub-woofer for a 93 Explorer. I called all the local truck wreckers and they all blew me off. Went to 2 local pick and pull yards and they didn't have a single Explorer. Where are they hiding these things?

Don't want to spend $1k to upgrade the tunes in a 10+ year old ride, but would still like to crank the Metallica now and then without a nasty rumble coming from behind the back seat. Thanks.

-Phish

Reply to
Phishrace

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

What's the difference between the 93 and 91. Mine was blown and I put a cheap replacement in. The hard part is having to take half the car apart to put it in.

Find a place that sells fasteners and they will have the plastic pins that hold most of the car together at a low price. Chances are you'll break some as you remove them.

Reply to
Mike Painter

I wouldn't spend money on another 10yr old factory speaker.... Just go to Wal-Mart and buy a set of aftermarket speaks... Pretty cheap, and better sounding than factory..

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

If you already have one that is blown, just check around for a 6.5" subwoofer to replace it. Not the easiest size to find, but I got one for $20 at an electronics shop. It fixed that awful sound coming from the back. Also I think the factory amplifier is only 70 watts peak. If you don't have one, Crutchfield sells some nice 10" ones for back there. $500 for one with amplifier(200 watts), or $300 without.

Joey

So you're saying you can crack open the case that holds the subwoofer and that the amp isn't somehow hard wired/welded to the speaker? That would be great. Haven't opened up the whole quarter panel yet and thought maybe the speaker and amp might be somehow sealed. If a new

6.5" SW will fit, I can find them at the local flea market if nowhere else. And if I can get them for $20 each, I'll carry spares. d:^)

Will the 10" Crutchfields fit the enclosure using the factory amp?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure there are plenty of Explorers in junk yards nearby. Even if you discount the fact that it's been the bestselling suv forever, the exploding Firestones alone should've put a few in the junk yard. d;^) Just don't think they see $ in used stereo parts.

-Phish

Reply to
Phishrace

In mine, there was two amplifiers bolted next to the subwoofer under the rear panelling, one for the sub and one for the other speakers. You just take the speaker out and plug the new one in. I'm pretty sure that the 10" case fits with the factory amp. I haven't found out yet, but maybe later on.

Joey

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Phishrace) wrotenews:7f2400ae.0405212156.7eff0573 @posting.google.com:

You talking about that thing behind the passenger rear plastic quarter panel in the back bed of a 4 door exploder?

I'll sell you mine. I went around it and installed my own subwoofer and speakers. It's still in there.

Reply to
Lt.Fuzz

"J" wrotenews:Xcosc.19556$qmu1.7130 @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Or you can do what i did. I got two 10" subs used for about 10$, then I wired them up in series and got a flat cardboard box and cut out holes and screwed them in with plastic nuts, washers and bolts, drilling a little hole in the cartoon for the wire, painted it all tan color and hooked it up and put it under my rear seat on the floor. Sounds great

Reply to
Lt.Fuzz