which rear differential fluid

I was planning on changing out the rear differential fluid in my 93 explorer, and was wondering what type of fluid to use. My Haynes manual says GL-5 SAE 90 hyphoid lubricant, but I couldn't find any straight 90 at discount or autozone. I found 75W-90 and 80W-90. Is it ok to use either of these?

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Walker

When I did mine (the cover had a small leak so I had to pull it to fix that), I got the Ford spec codes from the owner's manual for both the fluid and the friction enhancer (I have the LS diff) and bought what Pep Boys had that had those codes on them.

So figure out which differential you have, look in the owner's manual and buy something that meets those specs.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

You got the friction modifier at Pep Boys? Great! I thought that was dealer item and they want 8 or 9 bucks for a tiny bottle of the stuff.

Reply to
SkyOrDie