whining noise coming from rear

Howdy,

I took my 1995 Explorer into the Ford dealer last week to have the front / rear brake pads replaced / rotors turned. They also replaced the idler pulley (see previous post, it was making a whaling noise).

So, now that my pulley isn't making noise, I can now hear a new whining noise (I don't know if it was there before the new brakes since the pulley noise would have drowned it out).

I hear a whining noise coming from the rear of the Explorer. It sounds the same with the windows open or closed. I only hear it while the vehicle is moving, engine speed doesn't seem to affect the whining.

Anyone have any ideas a) what could be the cause, b) trouble shooting steps I can take to further track down the problem?

thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like what mine did when the bearings in the rear end went bad. My uncle jacked up the rear end and we spun the wheels in the garage. He said "you need new bearings," so I took it to my favorite shop, and had them look at it. They told me the same thing, then did the job. My reciept for the job says "Replace Pinion Bearings" and the total was $408.

Reply to
Ratbert

I was thinking that might be the source of the noise. The odd thing, when my front bearings went out, the noise that I got from them was a loud roaring noise, sounded like I had monster truck tires on the front. Finally had the front bearings replaced and the roar went away.

I'll jack it up and give the rear wheels a spin, thanks for the suggestion,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrotenews:2SUld.28493$bP2.15053 @newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

You might want to put your wife in the front seats instead of letting her ride in back.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi