"whining" noise from aux. output from stereo

I get a whining noise from the stereo when playing mp3 player with the player's charger connected to the cigarette lighter. I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem & had to install a filter. I couldn't find the post. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Reply to
DOC-DeanOfClean

While your's is most likely generated by the alternator, the Explorers DO have a very noisy (RF-wise) fuel pump in the tank. I had Ford install their OEM noise suppressor on mine (a '97) and it completely eliminated my interference problems (shortwave/amateur radio 'HF' radio spectrum).

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

You need to get a better quality 'regulated' power supply for your MP3 player.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Your dealers parts department should be able to look up TSB 02-16-04 if they are helpful. They should still be able to find one of the noise suppression kits in the system as well as printing off a coy of the TSB for you (or you could have them do the work). This noise suppression module is supposed to be installed in the tank so expect 2 or 3 hour labour charge. Try to leave the tank as close to empty as possible to ease the R&R process.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have a similar issue. The whining seems to follow the idle of the explorer (ie: it change as you rev up and down). Where do you get such a regulator? Is it some sort of inline filter that goes into the cigarette lighter?

Reply to
Al Williams