Window fails to open - sometimes

2004 Explorer:

The rear driver's side window does not open with either the driver's push-button or the rear door's push-button. This problem started last summer. However, during the winter (Chicago suburb), the window would once again open/close. I had no problems with the window until mid-May. I didn't take it to the dealer last year, but probably will soon. However, does anyone have any idea what might cause this? It is strange that it opens/closes during cold weather and refuses to open when it is warmer. Unfortunately, I don't know at what temperature the problem starts. I am thinking motor overheating or wire overheating -- not affected by cold obviously.

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
R. F. Duffer

Possibly switch? The rear door switces are interchangeable side for side - there is a hint here. Another common failure is damaged wiring in the pass-through bellows at the door - the drivers door usually being the first to indicate a failure (not that year and mileage might influence a response).

The big problem with window concerns is that it involves electricity... even though the power window circuitry is really quite simple when one understands it, most techs (and DIYers) have a very hard time when electricity is involved.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not sure about the Explorer's windows, but many vehicles if the rear switch fails, both switches can become inoperative.

There also may be a thermal switch in the motor that has become too sensitive, and opening at too low a temperature.

Proper diagnostics would be very helpful. Get into the failure mode (hot day?) and check voltages at the motor, are they good? No voltages then the problem is elsewhere. If voltage, check the motor for opens.

Reply to
PeterD

Problems with electricity ? Shocking!!

Reply to
Superj

My '03 had the same problem and I heard from several others back in '03 & '04 having the same problem. Ford replaced the window moter twice and it worked for a while then the third is still working. All of this was under warranty thankfully. I seem to remember it was the motor brushes sticking. Sometimes a swift bump on the motor would help but is not a great fix.

Reply to
Richard