windshield washer malfunction

98 4.0 SOHC Sport. 100K miles. Just took it in for 90K service couple of months ago When I push in the lever to activate the windshield spray, no water comes out. I hear what sounds like a pump and the wipers work fine, but no water comes out. What steps should I pursue to find out what's wrong and maybe even fix it myself? Thanks. Ken.
Reply to
Kenneth Fields

Probably the tubing has come adrift somewhere. (You HAVE checked there is liquid in the reservoir??)

Lift the hood and get someone to activate the washers.

Observe if water leaking anywhere.

If reservoir empty, check if it has a leak, crack?

I haven't personally checked mine, but the pump you can hear is usually mounted inside or under the reservoir

If all the above OK, I suggest you disconnect the tubing somewhere and activate the washers to confirm that water is being pumped, if not, could be a faulty pump, or it may be clogged up.

HTH

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Also, the water impeller can be stripped on the motor's shaft. The motor runs, but no water is pumped. A new aftermarket windshield washer pump is only about $8.

Reply to
TeflonTW