00 Taurus engine squeak

Hi; I have an internal engine squeak [not the usual pulley bushing]. I have traced it down to the distributor. This is electronic ignition which I am unfamiliar with. I remember the old distributors with the cam and cog on the end of the shaft,,, they were easy to pull out. I am told this is a common problem with the Taurus. Anyone know whets involved? Is there a shaft below this distributor? Can they be removed and greased? Any help appreciated. They Haynes manual says nothing on this.
Thanks Bill
Hi; I have an internal engine squeak [not the usual pulley bushing]. I have traced it down to the distributor. This is electronic ignition which I am unfamiliar with. I remember the old distributors with the cam and cog on the end of the shaft,,, they were easy to pull out. I am told this is a common problem with the Taurus. Anyone know whets involved? Is there a shaft below this distributor? Can they be removed and greased? Any help appreciated. They Haynes manual says nothing on this. Thanks Bill
I think you are talking about the "cam position sensor" it looks like a tiny distributor. It is a common problem (at least on the older 3.0s)
it is pretty easy to pull out (at least on a 96 or 7 Taurus) Im not familiar with the newer ones. There is a special tool to re-align the new one when going back with it. I have had luck carefully marking the old one then matching the new one when going back in. The problem I have seen is actually not the sensor but the "driver/housing" below it. The driver shaft wears out then it hits the sensor and breaks it too. If the sensor is broken the check engine light will come on. I fyou pull it out make sure to mark exactly the positon of the housing to the intake and the shaft to the housing before you pull it. On the 97 Taurus you have to move a large plastic wire lume out of the way to get it out. I've never heard them make noise but I would emagine it would in the coarse of wearing out. I always saw them after the sensor was broken because the CEL was on.

My Ranger has a squeak too & it seems to be one of the pulleys (I thing it is the serpentine tensioner idler) so I may take to the dealer for a check before it seizes since I'm under the extended warranty & I want to get some of my $600 back in service. I'm not sure why it is failing so soon with too few miles on the clock (21000 miles).
This is the cam synchronizer. a fairly common problem... The "distributor" portion (it's not really a distributor... simply the synchronizer drive) will start to fail and create the squeak noise.
If you are sharp and careful and conscientious, you might get away with out the special tool.... heavy on the *might*. The synchronizer NEEDS to be timed to the camshaft properly since it "tells" the PCM whether #1 is coming up on compression or coming up on exhaust.... If the timing is not correct, the PCM sees a problem and can give any manner of running concerns...
Top postingly yours.....