'01 Taurus 39K Brakes

Need brakes......dealer quoted nearly $400 for all (rear drums, no rotors)...Midas, Meineke & Monro all about $200 for al...Midas & Meineke give parts warranty only....Monro was about $40 more for the front
(about $220 for all)....but they give parts AND labor warranty and CERAMIC brakes.......any feelings? Are CERAMIC better than the Motorcraft or metallic?

new drums at 39K miles. Actually, why do you need rear brakes at all at 39K. Maybe I read it wrong? Just so you know, "parts warranty" means shoes/pads which cost them very little.
You DON'T need rear brakes or drums at 39k miles. All you need is some front pads put in (assuming you don't feel a lot of pulsing when braking). That should cost 100-150$ parts & labor. Cheap pads run about $20, decent pads or OEM pads should be around $50

danny opined in 2311.public.lawson.webtv.net:

Assume your milage is all in urban/city/stop-go driving.
From what I've seen, the drums are made so close to tolerance they cant be turned... and if they could, it would cost (retail labor markup) so close to new parts it wouldnt be worth it.
Unless you want to find an amateur friend that REALLY KNOWS brakes, you're just going to have to resign yourself.
I think Ceramic are USUALLY better.... but I've had good luck with top line standard brakes, whatever Ford puts on.