'01 Windstar, Code Reader Won't Read

I have an '01 Windstar that my code reader reads an error as if it wasn't plugged in. I've tried the reader on my '03 Marauder and it works just fine. I've checked the OBD plug and everything looks fine.
Any ideas?
Check the fuse for the cigarette lighter
Same fuse and people keep sticking stuff in there that fits poorly

Got it. JohanB, you da man! Thanks.