02 ranger soot in exhaust

02 ranger, 5spd, 3.0L 200,000kms
when i start it in the morning, and give it a little shot of gas, it puffs a circle of soot on whatever is near, today was my retaining wall,
yesterday was teh side of my shed.. hehe..
is this oil going by the valve seals? or what is going on here? it burns about 1L of oil every 1000kms... not leaking it on the ground anyway.
Thanks for your opinions.
HOw long does the old motor have left?