02 Taurus won't shut off

Last week the wife was out in the 02 Taurus. Tried to start the engine and would only run about two seconds and then quit. After a few tries and 20 minutes later, it started and ran fine. Yesterday, the door ajar light came on showing all doors open and would not go out. All doors were closed. Last night she came in after dark and the exit lights would not go out (interior lights). I tried everything with no luck. I finally unhooked the battery and they would go out... hook the battery back up and they would come on. Left the battery unhooked all night and sent her to have the battery checked this morning. Battery checked Okay and no lights on, everything working normal. Is this some kind of Ford trick or what the hell is going on! I smell beer!

Reply to
Overdue

One of the door switches is stuck. Unlike the old days, these aren't the pin switches near the hinges. They are usually switches inside the doors, next to the latch.

One common fix is to spray something like WD40 on the latch (the moving part on the end of the door) and open/close the door a few times. You may need to repeat a few times.

If the chime sounds when you put the key in the ignition, then it's the driver's door. Otherwise, it's one of the others.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

You will probably find a small hole that an extension spray tube can fit in. Spray WD-40 or better yet Electrical contact cleaner into the door through the hole, then open/close several times.

Reply to
I. Care

The electrical switches which cause this problem are usually located directly above or behind the lock mechanism. If you shine a light into the lock you may be able to see the wire which goes to the switch. Try to concentrate the cleaner in that area. It wouldn't hurt to clean the lock too. After you clean the switches/locks and they're working all right, you should lubricate them. (WD-40 is not a good lubricant) Wait a few days for the cleaner to dry out and then spray some white lithium grease into each switch/lock. Operate the doors several times like you did with the cleaner. If you don't lubricate them, the problem will probably come back in a few months or so.

Reply to
Fordfan

Thanks guys, that never crossed my mind! How stupid. Anyway, lights are still off and first thing in the morning... the doors get a good cleaning and greasing! Thanks again.

Reply to
Overdue

You *must* let the cleaner dry out (evaporate) before you grease the switches/locks. Otherwise the remaining cleaner will dilute the grease. You could speed up the drying time by using a hair drier in the locks but I would still wait at least a day before greasing.

Reply to
Fordfan