'04 Freestar (6k miles)

Bought it new 5 months ago.

Works fine, but the ENGINE is loud.

When standing outside it (idling) sounds like a truck.

I have noticed it since I bought it (new) months ago, but just the other day when a friend with a Grand Caravan drove into my yard it REALLY became obvious.

I don't know anything is "broken", but it sure sounds like an inferior product.

Is there less sound insulation or something that a dealer might look at?

Just loud, like a diesel really.

Reply to
yisroel

Have you listened to a similar Freestar? I took a look at the information at Cars.com and one of the "cons" listed for this model was engine noise. Likewise Consumer Reports said " The engines are still noisy..." and "The optional 201-hp, 4.2-liter V6 in our Freestar provides good performance, but it sounds and feels harsh. A 3.9-liter V6 is standard." So it is possible that your engine is "normal" for a Freestar at least. But I have not heard one that sounded like a diesel, so I suggest that you at least ask the Ford dealer to let you listen to a similar one to see if your is especially noisy and possibly broken. I can't imagine that it can be any noiser than my SO's Plymouth van's engine, so I do suggest you at least check further.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed,

Thanks for thoughtful and informative response.

I will do just that.

All the best-

Yisroel

Reply to
yisroel

If you hear a Toyota or Honda van engine you will really feel bad.

Reply to
Art

Typical american auto...And they wonder why the Japs are kicking their azzes

Reply to
Elwood

Yeah that's gotta be it.

The crippling Health care and retirement packages don't have ANY effect at all on the engineering, research or production budgets.

Reply to
joe schmoe

When GM was pulling in big bucks, instead of fixing their car designs they bought Subaru, Saab and a bunch of other crap which they are now dumping. Health care expenses has nothing to do with their mess. They have been making crap for 35 years.

Reply to
Art