04 taurus oil filter $55????

hey,
i had the oil changed today in my 04 taurus. the tech told me it was the original filter which should be replaced every 15k miles (29k on the
odometer now).
price for the filter is $55 he told me? i told him to hold off on it? seems high to me for an oil filter. was it an attempted screw job or is this the going price?
thanks,
mike
whoops. make it the fuel filter he said needs replacing every 15K. Discount Auto Parts sells then for $18. guess i'l do it myself.
mike

I wouldn't bother replacing it every 15k kms though, i think that's overkill.
Anyone else agree to that?
mike wrote:

Picasso wrote:

using was dirty for some reason.....
Picasso wrote:

You gotta be kidding. I've replaced the fuel filter on my 2000 Taurus exactly once in 88,000 miles. I replace the oil and oil filter every 5,000 miles and have used Mobil One exclusively in it since I got it. Runs just fine....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Ford recommends replacement at 30K miles.
Picasso wrote:

80K+ miles on my Taurus filter w/o problems...
Rob

A fuel filter every 15,000 miles? Only if you lived on a private island or in the middle of a desert/forest/farm in the middle of nowhere, and all the fuel was trucked flown or shipped over in 5-gallon cans, and was several months old and going stale with some varnish forming in it, AND the help was extremely sloppy about keeping the fuel (and the empty cans going back for more) clean.
That mechanic is fishing for profit, pure and simple. To need them that often you almost have to put the dirt in the tank on purpose.
If you buy your fuel from reputable filling stations that sell enough fuel volume to keep it fresh (most all get at least one truckload a week, or they would be closed) and they take normal care to keep their tanks and fuel clean even 30,000 miles would be overkill, 60,000 would be more realistic. A stretch to 90,000 wouldn't be out of line.
--<< Bruce >>--

Do you know what a plugged filter does to the pump? Do you know what a new pump costs? Filters are cheap............
Bob wrote:

But you still have to almost deliberately poison the fuel to clog a filter that fast - gas stations have gotten vastly better at protecting the fuel in the last 25 years with all the double-walled tanks and piping systems, and vastly improved fill fittings and tank truck equipment. And they are running it through filters at the tank farm fill bay and at the gas station.
I'd still go with the Ford recommended 30K unless you suspect you've gotten a few filthy fill-ups.
--<< Bruce >>--
The Ford "Normal" Maintenance Schedule for a 2004 Taurus calls for fuel filter replacement every 30,000 miles. If you do extensive idling and/or driving at low speeds (i.e., Taxi or delivery service) or operate the vehicle in dusty conditions Ford recommends fuel filter replacement every 15,000 miles. See https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/maintenance_schedules/GetYMM.asp .
It seems to me that Ford uses unusually restrictive fuel filters (or should I say unusually fine mesh?). The ones on my Ford are at least four times as big as the one on my SO's Chrysler mini van or my old Saturn Vue or my Sister's Civic. Yet Ford recommends routine replacements at 30,000 intervals (or 15,000 in many cases), while I can't even find a recommendation for replacing the one on the Chrysler mini van or my Sisters Honda, and my Saturn didn't recommend replacement until 100,000 miles (normal or severe service). However, both the Chrysler and Saturn had a different style filter than the Ford filter. For the Ford fuel filter there is only one line from the fuel tank (pump) and one outlet to the engine. For the Chrysler and the Saturn, there are two connections back to the fuel tank. I wonder if they don't somehow back flush the filter to prevent them from becoming plugged. Does anyone know? On the other hand, for my Fords I can change the fuel filter in about 10 minutes. Alldata allows 36 minutes to change the Saturn fuel filter and claims the filter costs $27. This would mean that a fuel filter replacement on the Saturn at my favorite shop would cost about $60. I replaced the one on the Chrysler mini van and it was a bitch. I had to lower the tank to disconnect on of the lines to the fuel tank and the filter was the most complicated piece of crap I have ever seen (and you had to get the right filter depending on whether you had a short or long van). I suspect replacing that fuel filter at a shop would have been $100 job for that van. The Honda fuel filter is easy (in the engine compartment, but attached with screw fittings) but the filter is expensive. I am not sure what they do, since they only have one inlet and one outlet like the Ford fuel filter and the filter is tiny as well.
Ed

$55 for an oil filter? Thats outrageous!

Did you pay $55.00 for the oil change and filter? Filters are usually under $10.00 no matter where you buy one, at least around the Detroit area. Check your owners manual, for the amount of miles between changes. I am, from the old school, change the oil and filter every 3000 miles, or within 90 days, whichever comes first. Time is more important than the miles.
mike wrote:

They sure cost a LOT! ;)
Bob
-
I would go with 30K, its not hundreds of dollars and knowing what kind of damage a lean running engine can cause I would spend the money.