#1 spark plug removal ('91 Escort)?

Hello. How the heck does one remove the #1 spark plug on a '91 Ford Escort?

Does the alternator have to be removed or swung out of the way and if so how is that done? I've looked at it and can't figure it out. I bought the Chilton's manual but it doesn't say anything about it.

Thanks!

Reply to
woof

I'd have to see your situation because I am not familiar with that car, but sometimes you can get to tight places with a swivel head ratchet. That way you can angle the head to fit the space you have to work in. There are also short handled ratchets that only have about

3" handle. In fact you can get both short handle and swivel head. It's good to have an assortment of ratchets. See if you can get to it fron under the car too. Swinging the alternator should not be too difficult if that helps. Removal is tougher. Do what is the easiest, but having the right tools is worth the cost if it saves you work and time. My swivel head ratchets are some of the handiest tools I ever bought.

Good Luck

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Mark,

thanks for the reply but I can't even get the spark plug boot off. The alternator really is in the way and I have yet to figure out how to swivel it.

Reply to
woof

I used to have the same problem on a 94' Escort. Use a spark plug wire removing tool. It's a special kind of pliers made to grip the boot without damaging it. Then use a universal joint with the spark plug socket and an extension to the handle. After you're done, be sure to put some silicone grease inside the boot so it will be easier to get off next time.

Reply to
starman

You may have gotten it by now. I have not been on here for a few days. Another poster told you how to remove the boot. If you still cant get the boot off, you may have to slit it with a knife and replace that wire, or the whole set. Of course if the wires are still good, and you still dont think you can get the plug out, I would remove the alternator. It's amazing how complicated some of these "simple" jobs cab get because the manufactirer did screwed up. There was a car built in the 70's or 80's where the whole engine had to be pulled, or at least the mounts disconnected and the engine jacked up to change the plugs. That's just plain stupid, and the idiot that designed that car should have one of the cars shoved up his ass. Consider yourself lucky if all you got to do is remove an alternator. Even though cars should not be built that way.

To remove an alternator, there are usuaally 2 ro 3 bolts. One on the adjustment bracket, one or two that swivel it in the rear. To lift it out of the way, loosen the swivel bolts, remove the bolt on the adjuster, and lift it out of the way as much as you can.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

That he got that 428 shoehorned ito the Mustang body at all in the first place was a feat of engineering. Same with the 265 in the Monza/Vega. When people want the biggest engine crammed into the smallest car, they have to expect to pay for it in more ways than one.

That said, the way TODAYS cars are designed IS criminal

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce