12 Volt Ceramic Heater

I have a '93 Aerostar 3.0 and my heater is broken. I live in Florida so it's not a huge deal. I figured I'd try one of those 12 volt ceramic heaters. I figured the more watts a model is rated at, the more heat it would put out. I found a RoadPro model that's 300 watts! So what is the most watts I could run if: A. I plug it into my cigarette lighter outlet (that circuit might not handle the amps) B. If I wired it right to my battery

Matt

Reply to
Matt Collins

Matt Collins opined in news:rd9xd.128586$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Divide watts by 14 to get amps... which is what you are needing to know.

300 watts would mean about 28 (IOW 30) amps.

What about your heater is broken?

look above, I just did one... the aerostar heater is about the easiest to work on that I've ever seen.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns95C41ABE5D1C1BkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

Ooops...sorry, would be about 22 amps.. menaing you would need a 25 amp fuse, minimum.. thirty to be safe and 10 gauge wire

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for doing the math for me. Now I know the formula. So other than thick cable and a high amp fuse, I should be alright running 22 amps from my battery? I was worried the alternater might not even be able to keep up with that kind of power consumption. One more question Backyard Mechanic, many ceramic heaters are meant to just plug into the cigarette lighter. How many amps can that outlet handle? Probably less than if I hard wired it to the battery.

I think the heater core is clogged. Maybe I'll fix it but I thought a 12 volt heater would be an immediate quick fix. Plus they do heat instantaneously.

Matt

news:rd9xd.128586$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Matt Collins

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Matt Collins opined in news:05rxd.179869$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

There's no way of telling for sure...Even if it works fine initially, the high current eventually degrades connections and can lead to problems later.. Suggest a new circuit for anything over 10 amps.

I did the hard work for you... :) print out my replacement directions, look at the autozone info (incomplete) and look at the work area... it wont be too hard.

you are needing to

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes, they heat instantly - but how many BTUs of heat do you get, compared to the factory heater. 3413 btus per kw. The heater is .6KW if 600 watts, so roughly 2050 BTU, and .3KW at 300 watts is 1025BTU.

Not very much heat, compared to 13,000-60,000 BTUs for standard automotive heaters.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I just took the cover off my heater core to see what I was looking at workwise. Doesn't look too difficult. My Chilton's book says to plug the hoses before I replace it. Is that to prevent coolant from spilling into my interior? I'm checking into replacement cores now. Yeah, ceramic heaters probably can't comptete with a factory system.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Collins

Matt Collins opined in news:VxFxd.180721$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Unless yours is set up much different than mine is, the hoses connect in the engine compartment.. it is not necessary to even drain the coolant as the hoses taken up out of the way are higher than coolant level

Doesnt yours have quick connects? Did you read my post on changing the heater core?

remember that those books use a lot of boilerplate instructions

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Those are the same directions as my Haines book, but with better pictures. I shouldn't have wasted $ on the book! I bought a heater core today at Discount Auto Parts, it was $31.88. Those tubes stick out far out of the heater core. I see why now, they go completely through the firewall and the hoses clamp right on those tubes, beautiful. As for the clamps, I didn't see if they were quick connect, they just looked like those typical metal kind. Tomorrow I'll begin the surgery. I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

news:VxFxd.180721$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Matt Collins

Well no luck, and unfortunately I think I wasted 31.88 also. Those quick connects were a bitch to get off, even with the special tool. I finally got the replacement core on and it wasn't getting hot. Then I realized, the main hose coming off the water pump isn't even getting hot. I had the radiator and thermostat replaced, coolant flushed, heater core changed and still no heat. Do you know what else it could be? I'm going to start researching it right now.

Matt

news:VxFxd.180721$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Matt Collins

I am hoping for some advice on how to get the heater above luke-warm in my flex-fuel 2000 Taurus. I replaced antifreeze and let it idle with cap of for 20 minutes or more, squeezed hose to burp it.

Heats some, gets colder when I turn temp control lower.

Heater temp control seems to move the arm under the dash. Only puts out warm air for about 30 seconds after turning from OFF to ON. It acts like there is an air bubble in the heater core to me... ?

Help... It's cold here in MN!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Tomlinson

whats your temp gauge reading when engine warm , low????

Could b t-stat or blocked heater core What was the color of the coolant ?????/ Brown ??

Try back flush heater core if that doesnt help replace........

See other message in this group

Johan

Reply to
johanb

My coolant was a little low so I topped it off, let it cool and topped it off again. At least now after 10 minutes of idling, I'm getting hot fluid coming through the top radiator hose. But the hoses going to the heater core are still cool! I don't know what could be blocking them.

Matt '93 Aerostar

Reply to
Matt

Dirt in your heater core

Try flushing with gardenhose in both directions, if that doesnt help replace it

Johan

Reply to
johanb

the meat. Grease a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions, celery, green onions, and parsley. Place roast on top with fat side up. Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°. Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest. Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells; make patties if shell or head is not available (such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby). Flour oil onions bell peppers garlic salt, pepper, etc.

3 cups chicken stock 2 sticks butter 3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index) then fry or bake. Set aside to dr

Reply to
Bill Tomlinson

Read back-flush suggestion but I don't think the core would get that much blockage so quickly, and coincidenatl with coolant change.

Engine is warming fully, and heater hoses are hot. There is fluid at the top hose where it connects to metal pipe, but that pipe turns down to there still could be air in the core. Any experience with coolant flow control switch?

Bill

PS: anyone know how to get this out of the "ceramic heater" thread? I did that by mistake but intended it to have it's own new thread.

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Bill Tomlinson

I'll asume you've replaced the thermostat or at least had no trouble with ot or block temp prior to the change, so.......

This probem is consistant with the 3.8. You must open the bleeder on the thermostat housing with the engine running (but not hot). When the thermostat opens the trapped air will gurgle and spit out at you. Add more coolant to the rad and Robert is your Mom's brother.

Santa

Reply to
<sandy.hawes

There you have it.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

A 3.8 wasn't an option for a 2000 Taurus, his problem is most likely a plugged heater core. That seems to be a common problem. Bob

Reply to
Bob