15,000 scheduled maintenance

Page 1 of 2
My elderly mother just took her 2006 Chevy Impala with 15,000 to the dealer for an oil change, and came back with a $600 bill. Can anyone tell me what
could possibly be required at that interval that would be considered "routine maintenance?" I fear that the service advisor saw her coming, and took advantage of her.
Joiseedvl wrote:

Sounds like it was the 15,000 mile wallet cleaning.
If your mother just authorized an oil change, and they did anything else, then that's their problem.
My guess is that your mom said something like, "whatever it needs." Which is a blank check.
According to these people, this is what you need:
http://www.chapmanchevrolet.com/intervals.asp
# Change oil and filter # Lube all chassis points # Top up all fluid levels # Perform multi point inspection # Check and adjust all tire pressures # Tire Rotation # GM inspection sheet - Tire & Brake measurements # Battery test # Check for recalls # Alignment (15K miles or 12 months) # Differential Service (non-synthetic)
That should cost around $200 tops. Add the state-mandated safety inspection, you're up to $250.
I would look at her invoice, compare the invoice to the service schedule in her service manual (the one that came with the car), and go back to the dealer and request an explanation of any services not in the maintenance schedule.
If you feel that she was taken for anything, request a refund. If they refuse, write a letter to them requesting a refund and cc: to Chevy's costumer service people. If she paid by credit card, you have two months after the first bill that the service was billed. I would complain to the credit card company, refusing to pay the amount that your mother overpaid.
Also, tell us what she paid for (what is on the invoice).
Jeff
|My elderly mother just took her 2006 Chevy Impala with 15,000 to the dealer |for an oil change, and came back with a $600 bill. Can anyone tell me what |could possibly be required at that interval that would be considered "routine |maintenance?" I fear that the service advisor saw her coming, and took |advantage of her. | |
What does the bill say they did ? Maintenance is a profit center, just like annual state inspections.
Steven Stone wrote:
What does the bill say they did ? Maintenance is a profit center, just like annual state inspections.
Under the heading of "15,000 mile service" is $185 in labor, plus the following "parts:" Filter (assumed air)...$6 Element (?)...$26.42 15K Serv Kit (?)...$35.21 Battery Service Kit...$20.34 Then there is a listing for: TBI Throttle Body Service... Labor $50.00 Throttle Service Kit.... $32.50 IFS Fuel Injection Service....Labor $125.00 Injector Service...$48.50 Lube Oil...$9.81 EPA - MSS (this is NJ!) $28.00
From what research I have done, thanks to forums like this, the TBI & FI services are usually performed around 30,000 miles. My mother is the type to say "Oh, if you think it needs it, go ahead and do it" type person. My father, a GM employee for 43 years passed away 6 weeks ago, and he usually was the one who went with her to make sure they didn't take advantage of her. Unfortunately he isn't around anymore, and she didn't have the sense to call me and ask. I checked with Chevy and found a Maintenance Schedule that shows the first scheduled maintenance at 25,000 and no mention of TBI or FI services. I called the dealership whose answer is "if she authorized it, we performed the service, and there's nothing you can do about it.." So I wrote letters to GM, Chevy, and whoever else I could find, expressing my dismay for this particular service department. Interestingly, a few years back, another Chevy dealership was closed for similar underhanded actions. I know I won't get any restitution for for her ills, but I can at least bring the problem to someones' attention. Thank you to everyone for their help!
I'm also from NJ. What is the name of the dealer?

JOHN CARR wrote:

I would also write the credit card company, and tell them that you refuse to pay for any service that is not recommended in the service schedule. I would do that today.
If you live near NYC, write to the FOX 5 people who talk about people who get ripped off. I bet they can ask the dealer why they recommended service that is not on the list. If you live near Philadelphia, there may be a station there that does that type of story a lot.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

I forgot to add that you should also write to the attorney's general office (or is it attorney general's office) and to the Better Business Bureau.
Also, ask your mother exactly what she did authorize and how, whether it was over the phone, if they called her up and asked, etc.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Thanks for your help. In addition to every Chevrolet & GM address I could find, I've contacted the BBB (is it ironic that this dealership has a "poor" rating?), and am working on the other two.
By the way, the dealership in question is LUCAS CHEVROLET on Route 1 in Avenel, NJ. Personally, I use Norris Chevrolet (in Westfield, NJ) for my Camaro. Never had issues with them! And never felt taken advantage of! Thanks again to all who have posted here!

Joiseedvl wrote:

Just to let you all know, that Chevrolet Customer Service contacted me on Tuesday!!! Will let you know how this all turns out. ~ Thanks again!
The warranty policy manual that comes with every new car describes the MINIMUM required warranty service to be performed and at what mileage is should be performed.

Mike hunt wrote:

Not in my car. The warranty manual described the warranty that the car maker had. In fact, the only warranty service described in my warranty manual was that the car company report particular defects in the car if they occur before the end of warranty for those particular parts.
The service manual described the recommended service.
Can you please tell us your point and what this has to do with someone ripping off the poor lady?
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Sorry, it should read ...the car company repair [not report] particular defects...

Contrary to your opinon the warranty policy manual that comes with every new car describes the MINIMUM required warranty service to be performed and at what mileage is should be performed. Anybody agreeing to do more than that, is the person resposible for the "overcharge."
If one chooses to change oil more often than the manufacture suggest, I E 3,000 miles / three month vs 5,000 mile / six months, is the dealer resonsble for the the fact one wants extra service? I am an agressive driver and I choose to change out my tires when they reach around 50% of the orginal tread depth, should the tire dealer refuse to do what I ask? LOL

Jeff

Mike hunt wrote:

This was not warranty coverage. This was regular maintenance.

Of course, if one asks for things beyond what is needed, then that person should pay for it. But, in this case, the service adviser advised services that were not needed, to get the old lady to authorize unneeded work (assuming she even authorized it). The dealer ripped her off.
She said to do whatever is needed. Not, whatever will make a commission for you.

The dealer always gets a deal & leaves the customer with the short end of the stick. Once my extended warranty expires, it's bye bye dealer.
Shawn wrote:

And you gave him a deal when you bought the insurance, too. (Extended warranty is just an overpriced insurance product.)
Jeff

Not always. I bought a Geo Metro new in 1997 & the rack & pinion steering went out right around 2001 after the factory warranty expired & the "extended" kicked in. I got the entire steering system & both front drive axles replaced at no charge & the bill would have been over $2200 if I didn't get the $550 extended warranty. Who wants to be making vehicle payments when the vehicle is "out of order"
Shawn wrote:

Yet, the vast majority of people who buy these insurance policies don't come near breaking even. And, over the long haul, people are far better off not buying these insurance policies.
Plus, the vehicle makers will often pick up some or all of the cost of the repairs even after the warranty expires if there is a known defect.
So your anecdote doesn't really mean much. Do you really think that the insurance companies sell these policies at a long-term loss?
Jeff
I have not seen the statisticts lately, but you are correct he was an exception. Back when I was still in the business in the ninties the aveage pay out on ESPs, that exceeded the plans basic cost and the deductables, was only around one percent. Todays cars are much beter than they were ten, or even five years ago, so I would guess it is even lower today

Actually, I bought the exended warranty for a '92 Olds Acheiva. After the 36, 000 miles were up, it paid for new struts, and best of all a cracked head! (gotta love those 2.3L DOHC engines!) And it got me a rental car too while I waited for the repairs... the cracked head alone paid for the warranty, and the other stuff was like found money. I know this doesn't apply to all warranty holders (my dad's 93 Roadmaster never needed such work, and so his was a waste of $$) but you never know!!!!