16 Year Old Looking For A Bronco

This is kind of a weird question but I'm 16 and looking for a '92-'96 Bronco with a 5.8L 351 Engine. I was looking on automart.com and saw a Bronco with a "351 Engine" (I found out through Ford's Website that if the VIN has the letter H as the 8th number its a 5.8L Engine but if it has the letter N as the 8th number it is a 5.0L Engine) the Bronco I saw a letter N as the 8th number but the owner said it was a 5.8L Engine. I was just wondering if there is anyway other way you can tell if a Bronco has a 351 Engine? I was thinking that particular Bronco might have been in a side collision and the owner bought a new door with a different VIN sticker on it. Does it say What size engine it is on the actual engine or in the engine compartment?

Thanks, Kris

Reply to
Kris Osborn

Someone may have swapped the engine which takes a bit more than just switching the engine. You have to change the exhaust and all the electronics to do it right. If you look closely at the front of the cylinder block, you will see that the 350 (5.8) is about an inch taller from the water pump to the cylinder head than a 5.0. If I recall correctly, all of the 5.8L Broncos had the E4OD trans where it wa an option in the 5.0.. If it has the AOD/AODE/4R70W, it should be a 5.0. Most of the 300's sixes built during that time also had the heavy trans for some reason. If the door sticker matches the dash plate, a door swap is not likely. Having had a couple of the Broncos, the 5.8 is definitely the more desireable engine. The 5.8 doesn't seem to use any more gas than a 5.0 in them but has much better power if needed.

You may want to pose your question to the Bronco or F150 forum on the net. They have a world of information.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Reply to
Tom

More than likely the owner is worse than stupid, he's pulling the old bait-and-switch.

If the vehicle is priced the same as all the other 5.8Ls then it's a bait-and-switch. Run away, run away, you might even be dealing with a stolen vehicle.

Before driving out to look at any used vehicle, get the VIN from the owner over the phone, and run it to see what the engine configuration is supposed to be, then call the DMV and have them run the VIN to make sure it's not stolen. Naturally, if you happen to run across a stolen vehicle, call the cops immediately and give them all the information and let them deal with it.

If you arrive to look at the used vehicle and the VIN does not match what the owner told you, leave immediately and call the cops.

If the title is lost, but the VIN is clean, it is possible to buy the vehicle but it's usually a big big hassle to get a title. Unless the vehicle is under $500 it's not worth dealing with it. Any vehicle worth real money is worth the seller's time to get the title - the likely reason the seller can't get the title is that there's a lien on it or some other nastyness the seller doesen't want you to know about. There's been cases where the husband is screwing the babysitter on the side, and goes off on a long business trip and the wife has a divorce planned - and for revenge she sells his vehicle sans title. If the title has 2 names on it, which most that belong to married couples do, then make sure you talk to both parties on the title.

One more thing since your 16 years old - a 16 year old cannot legally enter into a contract. If a seller sells you a vehicle, your parents can call the seller and tell the seller that you had no legal ability to purchase a vehicle, and the sale is nullified. Smart sellers know this, and as a result if you find a vehicle you want to buy, the seller isn't going to let it go until someone 18 or older shows up and signs a receipt.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Not true in Canada. A 16 year old can buy a car. No co-signer required as long as he is paying cash. He cannot sign for a loan. But DEFINITELY check the title for registered liens and legal ownership.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do