171/174 Codes 99 Windstar

I have heard of and read the infamous TSB 3-16-1 for the above mentioned codes. How can my mechanic go about diagnosising whether or not the service
proceedure described in the TSB is necessary. I don't want to go on an 'odds are' diagnosis. A little history on my van. Above mentioned codes so had a tune up, fuel infection cleaning, tranny flush, coolant flush, MAF sensor cleaning about 3 weeks ago. (BTW O2 sensors replaced 2 years ago.) Cleared codes. A week later CEL back on same codes. Recalibrated PCM CEL light off for 1 week and 3 days. I have an appointment to take the van back in on Monday. I want to be armed with information. I don't want the mechanice to shot gun for a solution. I want to go in with some ideas on how to go about diagnosising the problem. One thing my mechanic thought may be causing the codes is bad gas or condensation in the tank. Is that possible? If so how is that determined? Thanks!

after removal, try to blow through the "in" port. You will know if it was plugged. Also vacuum leak(s) could do it. Is the TSB for the MAF? If so clean it. Also check the fuel pressure...........gl
> those are lean codes (both banks). A good start would be a fuel filter.

The TSB has to do with the injectors, it involves changing the valve cover on 99-00 models with the old baffle design, inspecting and replacing if required the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator, removing the upper intake to clean everything including the EGR orifices, replace the isolator bolts on the manifold and perform a PCM update. The part numbers for the TSB are:
XF2Z-9H486-AA Port Seal-Package of 6(1 Pkg Req. Per Veh) 3F2Z-9S479-AA Isolator Bolt Assy. - Package of 8 (1 Pkg Req. Per Veh) XF2Z-9E498-DD Vacuum Line 3F2Z-6582-BA Valve Cover - LH
Had the fuel filter replaced at the time of tune up. As mentioned in my original post MAF was cleaned.

OK, so whats the TSB supposed to fix? I am assuming you researched it a bit and it is for your problem(lean codes)? If so it must be a vacuum leak in the intake somewhere...Anyway, I would check the O2 sensors with a scan tool under load ect to see if they can reach about 900 mV and check the fuel pressure too before doing the expensive TSB procedure...

Yes the TSB fixes vacuum leaks in the intake manifold. Ford in their infinte wisdom designed a faulty intake manifold gasket system that over time oil breaks down the gaskets both upper and lower gaskets, the port seals, the 'washer' type gasket on the isolator bolts begin to loosen than all hell breaks loose. The van will start to ping and have performance issues. My van was beginning to have performance issues and pinging like crazy. O2 sensors were replaced 2 years ago so I knew that wasn't the problem. Further testing confirmed that they were working as expected. MAF was cleaned up too. Still 171/174 codes kept popping up. My mechanic did the TSB Friday (after checking all other possible causes) plus replaced the intake manifold as suggested by Ford (the origianl TSB 3-16-01 just recommended the gaskets, isolator bolts and port seals. There is now and addendum to the TSB that the intake manifold should be replaced). I didn't expect to notice much difference after the repairs but boy was I wrong! My van runs like a new car. Smooth as glass with a load of get up and go.

!.P`` ` end
Do you mean lied about the intake needing replacement per a TSB?

No he didn't lie, I was mistaken (called to verify) only the gaskets, port seals and isolator bolts were replaced per TSB. The lower intake manifold was replaced after my mechanic consulted with ford about something he saw with the manifold My mechanic is a friend who owns his own garage, I trust him.

There you go.....Its fixed! Thats all that matters at this point.