1961 econoline help please~ rear bearing replacement

Greetings,

Hoping someone may be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or missing.

I'm trying to replace the rear wheel bearing on a 1961 econoline truck. I've removed the bearing retainer and the brakes, drum ect but can not get the axle to come out of the axle housing.

Do I need a special puller ? Is there some sort of a retainer in the diff case?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Don't know that exact axle, but on most semi-floating axles there's some sort of retainer in the diff housing. Usually a big circlip in a groove at the end of the shaft, but there are other methods.

You're probably overdue to change the gear oil in the rear axle anyway, so pop the cover off the pumpkin and take a look.

Hint: Public Libraries often have repair manuals... ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
waterskiing greg

Joe, Can you describe the "bearing retainer" that you removed? Look at the rear end. Does the carrier (gears and pinion flange) bolt in from the front? Or is there a cover on the back of the housing? I suspect that this rear end has a removable carrier (bolts in from the front). Once you remove the 4 bolts on the bearing retainer, you need to use a slide hammer and "axle puller" adaptor to get the axle and bearing out of the tube.

Look here:

See the adaptor with 3 holes on top and one on the bottom, biggest one in the picture? That's what you need. You can likely rent it from a local parts storealong with the slide hammer. Hope this helps, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks Greg, You're right for the most part. The axles, when new, would pull out with a firm yank or two (or three). After many years of use or miles, a slide hammer is usually necessary to "tap" them out. It's a close fit that gets tight with use and time.

You have a 71 F-100? I'm jealous. The 70-72s are my favorite Ford trucks.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I popped open the pumpkin last night and saw no retainer ring of any sort, and have a Chiltons for the truck. The Chiltons tells everything but how to remove the axle. I suspect I need a slide hammer of some sort. Or perhaps a torch to heat the bearing case enough to expand enough to yank the axle, as the wheel bearing is pressed onto the axle.

Still guessing here, fixing to go back and try again.

Thanks Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks Tom, That's the ticket, the parts house has one they will rent me..

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If this is a half ton, E100 or 150. Put the brake drum on backwards with three lug nuts, also backwards. Leave the nuts real loose, and be damned sure the truck wont fall. Use the loose brake drum as a slide hammer. Push it against the axle flange, the pull it towards you hard as you can. After a few "hits" the axle will come out. Now I'm wondering how you pulled the center without removing the axles? Is this a 3/4 ton? Five or eight lug nuts?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Big Al wrote: Now I'm wondering how you pulled the

Yea, me too??? If the rear end has a cover on the back, it's an integral carrier. The disassembly procedure is much different.

Reply to
Tom Adkins