1961 Ford Falcon Fuel Filler Tube

The early, abrupt bend in this filler tube makes fueling without spilling difficult, if not impossible.
Fueling is such a pain in the ass, my girlfriend is considering
selling "Grace" b/c she can't fill 'er up (I have to, b/c there's no full serve around here).
Anyone know of a filler tube modification to solve this problem?
if you can find a 68 to 73 ford pickup with the gas tank in the cab, you can take the truck fill tube, and cut it down a bit, then put it in the tank with a new hose and a nonvented gas cap. then to fill the tank all you have to do is pop the trunk open and fill it up. it will take gas as fast as you can pump it in this way. i have done this on over 50 falcons. after putting the fill in the trunk, i cut the original fill tube off, and plate the tube, and then weld the cap in place. it still looks like the fill is in the stock spot, but you do not have to worry about some gas jockey filling your trunk up.

Tom wrote:

Tom, That seems a pretty elaborate fix. Was the fill rate always a concern on early Falcons? I don't recall ever hearing about it. I had 61, 63 and 69 Falcons with nary an issue back in the 70s. Is this possibly due to the vapor recovery fill nozzles in use today? or a higher flow rate a the pump? My inquiring mind would like to know.
it was never a problem till they introduced the new "safer" vapor recovery nozzles. with the new system, it can take as long as 20 minutes to put 10 gallons of gas in any of my cars. after the "fix", they will take gas as quick as you can throw it at them.

Speaking of 20 minutes, that & a screwdriver were all it took to complete this simple fix - with elaborate results. Wow. Thanks tons, Tom