1963FALCON STEERING

CAN I TIGHTEN UP THE STEERING BY TURNING THE SCREW ON TOP AND HOW FAR

Spike
NICE!
It's really cool you were able to bring that poor thing back to life.
--

(\_ _/)

initially... my wallet isn't.... LOL : 0 )
--
Spike
Turn off the caps lock and we can chat..... much depends on the condition of the steering gear. If the gear`is excessively worn, adjusting the mesh preload over centre can give us the white knuckle ride of our life.

Everyone who has adjusted that screw, with positive results raise their hands...........
Bueller?
Any one?
Anyone there?
you pay..DEAL with it!

Piece of cake. Only takes a few minutes and makes a huge difference.

How long of a list do you want???? Yes it is doable. Email me spike and I can tell you the complete correct procedure. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

steering was not mine.
--
Spike
Sorry about cap locks. The car only has 60k miles on it and it goes down the road like a drunk. I was told I could tighten the screw on the gear box but not to far.

that I turned it back over to my wife... it was her folks car, and the one she learned to drive in. She had no problem.
Sounds like it's time for a replacement....
--
Spike

Older cars, even when properly maintained with good tires, usually do not steer as accurately as most newer cars. If the bushings, tie rod ends,ball joints, drag links, wheel bearing, brakes, and steering box are in good shape, nothing is bent and rust has not eaten up some of underbody areas where steering parts are mounted to it may just be that you are not comfortable with what was considered acceptable at the time. In that case adding some better parts, sway bars, suspension and body stiffeners might make it better.
the adjustment process is very long and drawn out. if you want to do it the proper way, get a factory service manual. if you want to easy way out on it, I usually jack the front end up, loosen the nut, then tighten the inner screw till I just feel resistance. then tighten nut and try it, turning lock to lock with wheels up. if all feels good, then I go for a short spin on back roads to check it out, slow at first then faster if all seems well