1966 ford id?

I work in an auto salvage yard, and we just got in a 66 ford. I am going to buy it, just wondered if anyone could tell me anything about it. Title only says 66 ford 2 door, no model on it. VIN is 6u67c171504
The only badge on the car says LTD, though several people have looked at it and thought it is a Galaxie ( but not a Galaxie 500? ) What is the difference in the models, and what exactly is this one? Also, there is no engine in the car, but there is a trans that appears to be a FMX 3 speed automatic, but the gear selector in the car lists 1st and drive only, like a 2 speed? Anybody out there that can help with info or a site I can go to for info? Thanks, Earl
big e lewis wrote:

http://images.google.com/images?q=galaxie+66+OR+1966&btnG=Search
http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Ford/1966/FullLine/1966FordFullLineBrochure/Ford65_01.html
Rob
it is a 66 ltd, based on the galaxie model line of full sized fords. the line went custom, galaxie 500, XL, LTD, and 7 litre. engine code "C" was a 289 2 barrel V8. the trans with that engine will be a C4.

Ford does not have records for serial number prior to 1969. the records for 69 and up were available from ford, however recently ford sold the records to a private party.
however your serial number does reveal a few things 6U67C171504 breaks down as follows 6 is the model year in this case 1966 U is the assembly plant in this case Louisville KY 67 is the series code in this case LTD 2 door fastback (body code 63F) C is the engine code in this case 289 2-V 171405 is the consecutive unit number, all started with 100000 meaning that your car was number 71405 off the line.
the transmission in your case was a version of the C-4 marketed as the "cruise-o-matic" this trans had a unique valve body even though the trans is a three speed only 2 position were selectable by the driver. This is not the same trans as the earlier version I believe available through 1964 of the "Cruise-O-Matic" that was a 2 speed.
other info that may help you the LTD was a body line "A: or full size ford car a designation shared with the following models "Custom" , "Custom 500" "Galaxie", "Galaxie 500", '7-Litre", "XL", "Country Sedan", "Country Squire" "Ranch Wagon" and the "LTD Brougham"
Most cars with the 289 2-V motor and automatic transmission received the 8" ford rear sporting a 2:80 open rear I hope this helps

2 speed on the small 6 cylinder engines. Cruise-O-Matics are three speeds tranmissions. Small white dot is second gear, green dot is normal drive, L is low.

All of the 65-66 full size Fords came equipped with a 9" rear end, in fact, I believe all full sized fords from the late 50's to the mid 80's came equipped with 9" rear ends. 8" rears were for everything smaller than the full size Fords.

With your VIN and the info from the door plate, this website will tell you anything you need to know about your 66 Galaxie. Your gear slector should say Cruise-O-Matic (P,R,N,small dot for second gear, Green dot for Drive, and L) and your car most likely came equiped with an FX, cast iron cased trans. I have a 66 Galaxie 500 289-2bbl, Cruise-O-Matic FX (not FMX which was introdued in 1968, MX was for big blocks) trans. C-4 was optional.
http://66ford.fordregistries.com /
Frank